Heart Disease Expert Forum
A-fib and Blood Pressure Numbers

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

A-fib and Blood Pressure Numbers
When I do go into an a-fib episode, my systole comes down a little, to around 100, and my dyastole goes up to where my numbers are 20 pts apart.  Why is that?  Does the a-fib cause it or does it cause the a-fib?  Is there ANYthing I can do to right it?  Thanks for your help.       LindaTX
When the heart beats very fast, such as during an episode of atrial fibrillation, it doesn't fill itself well leading to a decrease in stroke volume and cardiac output and a lower blood pressure (systolic).  As a result your body then releases norepinephrine and other vasoactive hormones which act on the peripheral vasculature and cause the diastolic pressure to go up.  Atrial fibrillation and high blood pressure are related.  Usually, chronic high blood pressure leads to changes in the structure of the left atrium which may lead to atrial fibrillation.  
A related discussion, A-fib and blood pressure numbers was started.