Heart Disease Community
ABOUT OMEGA-3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

ABOUT OMEGA-3

About Omega-3
Omega-3 fatty acids are natural substances that your body needs, but most people do not adequately produce them on their own. Therefore, you must obtain them through your diet.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are two forms of omega-3 fatty acids have been proven to be beneficial to your health.

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) omega-3 are marine-derived. The EPA and DHA forms of omega-3 fatty acids are found in oily fish, such as salmon, lake trout, mackerel, tuna, and herring. Higher concentrations of EPA and DHA, the active components in omega-3s, can also be found in LOVAZA — the first and only prescription omega-3 medication.
It is important to know that some types of fish may contain mercury and other pollutants from the environment. Therefore, the American Heart Association (AHA) cautions that some people should limit the amount of certain types of fish they eat. The LOVAZA 5-step patent protected* refinement process creates a highly purified prescription omega-3, which helps to eliminate worries about mercury and other environmental toxins, as well as cholesterol and saturated fats
Tags: Lovaza
Hi Dix,
Do you get the blank stare when you talk about natural treatments to your doctors?  Every cardiologist I've seen brushes off the 5 grms of fish oil I take every day and doesn't even want to look at a study I found for L-arginine (an amino acid) that increases NO synthesis and endothelial dilation naturally.
Anyway, my angina has been less since I started taking the arginine and that's the important thing.  I'm just not interested in adding more Rx drugs to my life right now... I'd rather get off most of them!  Take care of yourself and I'd love to hear about any other natural supplements you believe can han help the heart function normally!
SBF
Recent research from the British Journal of Nutrition found consumption of greater than 250 mg per day was associated with a 35% reduction in the risk of sudden cardiac death.

Nutrition for Optimal Wellness | Jessica Patella, ND | Coronary heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and worldwide (1). Coronary heart disease accounts for approximately 35% of all cardiovascular deaths and 10.5% of all deaths worldwide (2). Most risk factors of coronary heart disease are changeable, meaning coronary heart disease is a largely preventable disease (3). Omega-3 oils have been shown to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, but how much is enough? Recent research from the British Journal of Nutrition found consumption of greater than 250 mg per day was associated with a 35% reduction in the risk of sudden cardiac death (4).

The research included a review of eight observational studies which means participants were followed for a certain amount of time to observe different outcomes. Observational studies allow for conditions more typical in everyday life than those found in a case controlled studies and also allow for longer-term observations (4). Of all the studies, 214,426 participants were observed for how much omega-3 oil decreased the risk of cardiac death (4). All participants were free of known cardiovascular disease at the beginning of all the studies (4).

The relative risk (RR) of death from a sudden cardiac event was significantly lower (35.1%) in participants who consumedat least 250mg per day of omega-3 oil compared to participants who consumed less than 250 mg per day of omega-3 oil (P<0.0001) (4). Sudden cardiac death was defined as death within 5 minutes to 1 hour of symptom onset.

There was no significant difference in the risk of a non-fatal myocardial infarction (heart attack) between participants who consumed equal to or greater than 250 mg per day of omega-3 oils and those who consumed less than 250 mg per day. Other studies have indicated that intakes of 900-1,000 mg per day of omega-3 oils reduced the risk of non-fatal coronary events by 39%, while 1,300 mg per day reduced the risk by 43% and 2,100 mg per day reduced the risk by 67% (4,5).

In conclusion, intake of greater than 250 mg per day of omega-3 oil showed a significant 35% decrease in the risk of sudden cardiac death (4). This evidence suggests that 250 mg per day of omega-3 oils should be considered a minimum intake (4). Further research investigating optimal levels above 250 mg per day for reducing the risk of non-fatal coronary events is still needed.

*Coronary heart disease is narrowing of the blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen to the heart. Blockage of the vessels is what leads to a heart attack.

REFERENCES:

1. American Heart Association (2009) International Cardiovascular Disease Statistics. Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) (Statistical Fact Sheet — Populations 2009 Update). Dallas, TX: American Heart Association. http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/
1236204012112INTL.pdf

2. World Health Organization (2002) Deaths From Coronary Heart Disease. Geneva: WHO.http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/
en/cvd_atlas_14_deathHD.pdf

3. World Health Organization (2009) Cardiovascular Diseases. Geneva: WHO. http://www.who.int/cardiovascular_diseases/en

4. Musa-Veloso K, et al. Impact of low vs moderate intakes of long-chain n-3 fatty acids on risk of coronary heart disease. 2011. Br J Nutr. Doi:10.1017/S0007114511001644

5. Iso H, Kobayashi M, Ishihara J, et al. (2006) Intake of fish and n3 fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease among Japanese: the Japan Public