Heart Disease Community
AFIB and Cardiomyopathy

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

AFIB and Cardiomyopathy

i have had like 5 bouts of AFIB in the past 7 years. i am 30 years old so it is pretty young to have it i know....

when i was in the hospital with AFIB i got an eco done and they said my heart was alittle enlarged and they said i should get checked for HIV which i though was a little scary and when he said that i fliped back into normal rythm. i think it shocked my system.

since then i have been concerned that i have Cardiomyopthy...but the doctor has never brought it up in follow up appointments and said i was fine....if they had a concern that i had cariomyopathry they would have diagnosed it right?? they said my heart was alittle enlarged.  is there a difference between alittle enlarged and cardiomyopathy??

these are the best doctors around ( boston Mass General) so i have confidence that i should be fine..

looking on the internet i feel like i have undiagnosed cardiomyopathy caused from a virus...like HIV but i might be being a hypochondriac....

I guess my big question would by why wait for something to happen and try to self diagnose yourself.  You need to seriously pin down a heart doc for a true diagnosis period ...i must be missing something here but atrial fibrillation is an issue with the electrical pathways of the heart and the way that your heart is firing off and because you flipped back into a normal sinus rhythm while in the docs office still leaves me wondering...if the doc said that you had atrial fib why didn't they file a treatment plan for you in keep it at bay.  Atrial Fib in most cases is one of the easiest things to treat thru either treatment or cures....if it were me i would march back in and tell them you want a definate answer so that you don't keep looking for answers on the internet or thru friends...only a doc can give you a for sure diagnosis and i think you need a good exit conversation with a doc so you know exactly what the heck is going on with your body.....
Avatar n tn
i have the AFIB under control..i am on beta blockers and havnt had an episode in a long time....
i just get nervous there is something else wrong because i am young and it is very uncommon in young people...like HIV or something??

they didnt seem to worried about my heart being enlarged....does your heart being enlarged mean cardiomyopathy or does it have to be a specific amount bigger??