Heart Disease Expert Forum
AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT

Posted by JANICE BEDFORD on June 05, 1999 at 10:47:38
THIS IS NOT FOR ME IT IS FOR MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW SHE IS GOING TO HAVE A REPLACEMEMT AND I'M GOING TO GO AND HELP HER WHEN SHE COMES HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL AND I DON'T KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THE THINGS I SHOULD DO OR NOT DO AND I JUST WANT TO BE OF HELP NOT A HENDREANCE TO HER AND HER FAMILY CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME SOME THINGS I NEED TO KNOW.  I'M A RETIRED LVN BUT HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE WORK PLACE TO LONG TO RELY ON ANY THING I MAY HAVE KNOWN
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE
JANICE

Posted by Larry on June 05, 1999 at 12:36:46
Janice
I had aortic valve replacement on 5 Feb 99, with a 5.2 cm aneurysm removed as well.  All went very well, thank god, you will be needed when she gets home for support and just to help her do the little things around the home. She will be limited to lifting 8 lbs or less for 6 weeks, stairs will be hard as well sleeping for her a few days a recliner was good for me a couple weeks.  I wilsh you luck and the best for your daughter in law, with the proper hospital and physician she will be just fine. Write if you care.
Larry

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 06, 1999 at 12:00:43
Dear Janice
Sensible advice from Larry. Regarding how much to lift, a bag of groceries would be too much, so help with shopping will be important.
I hope this has been useful. Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided here is of a general nature.  Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.

Posted by JANICE BEDFORD  on June 06, 1999 at 16:48:25
THANK YOU FOR WRITING TO ME AND WHAT YOU HAVE SAID WILL BE A BIG HELP TO ME AND NOW I WILL PUT IT ALL TO WORK AND DO THE BEST I CAN TO HELP MY DAUGHTER IN LAW SHE WILL HAVE THE SURGEY AT HOAG HOSPITAL IN CALIF. IT IS IN ORANGE COUNTY AND THANKS AGAIN
JANICE
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 08, 1999 at 10:48:12
Dear Janice
I am sure everything will go smoothly for your daughter-in-law.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.
Posted by Mrs Judith Scott on June 14, 1999 at 17:21:41
My daughter is just recently married and is 28 years old with the conjenital heart defect of an aortic tricusp heart valve.  At her last scan the doctor said that there was thickening and she would soon need a replacement.  
1.What is thickening
2.Can this be arrested to avoid surgery
3. What is the best UK hospial for this treatment
4. Is it true that the valves have only a limited life before they need replacements

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on June 16, 1999 at 17:26:39
Dear Mrs. Scott
1. Thickening refers to a build-up of excess tissue that restricts the ability of the heart valve to move and function normally.
2. Currently, there are no methods known to arrest this process.
3. The Royal Brompton is a respected hospital in the UK.
4. Yes, this is true. If she has a valve replacement at now, she will almost certainly need a repeat surgery at some future date, assuming that she lives a long, healthy life. Different valves last different periods of time. Mechanical valves last much longer than tissue valves, but require one to be on blood thinning medicine for life - this complicates issues such as pregnancy. Tissue valves gradually wear out over the course of several years. However, repeat surgery can be done fairly safely.
Posted by Phil Smart on June 29, 1999 at 18:16:32
I had an aortic valve replacement last August a successful cardioversion in December and was taken off coumadin (it's a tissue valve) and all other heart medication (although I take 100mg orudis daily) in February but my heart arrhthmia has recrudesced in the last week or so.
Since I have no symptoms but do note that my heart rate does not recover to normal immediately after excercise but remains elevated for some time untill I am thoroughly rested and then still is wometimes irregular, can I keep up with my excerise routine?
Should I plan to  undergo another cardioversion or resume digoxin or othe heart slowing meds?  Since I have no symptoms, is it dangerous for me to keep running and other cardiovascular workouts?
Posted by CCF CARDIO MD - DLB on July 02, 1999 at 13:03:51
Dear Phil
If your arrhythmia has in fact recurred, you need to be re-evaluated by your cardiologist. You should call his office today. Until the evaluation, I would not recommend exercising. Nor would I recommend that you just start taking your old medications again, without checking with your doctor.