Heart Disease Expert Forum
APC

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

APC

I had a heart monitor a while back and the cardiologist's report stated
  "rare tachycardia" and "APC's" probably caused by stress/anxiety.  I have
  been reading about APC's on the internet and the information doesn't seem
  to fit with what I am having. My heart beat will be regular, then out of
  nowhere, one beat takes too long - almost like there is a missed beat.
  After that, the next beat feels louder or harder than the others. This will
  continue every 4 to 5 beats for anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour.
  Then it stops. This happens randomly throughout the day - some days it only
  happens once, then others it will happen 3 to 4 times during the day.
  Do you think this is APC's or is this some other dysfunction?
  Also, I am going for an ECG this week. Will it pick up any valve dysfunctions even if I am not having an "episode" at the time?
  Let me know, thanx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear jennifer,
Thank you for your question.  An APC is an atrial premature contraction and is a benign rhythm.  The pause that you feel is a compensatory pause following the premature beat.  The reason the next beat feels harder is that the heart has had more time to fill and gives a stronger pulse.  
An ECG will not evaluate valves but only electrical activity of the heart.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.