Heart Disease Expert Forum
AV Node Ablation w/ Pacemaker Insertion

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

AV Node Ablation w/ Pacemaker Insertion

I absolutely apologize for the "empty" or "repetitive" entries I put in today.  I'm just learning this process.
       As a 9 yr. PreHospital ALS (Medically Retired) Cardiac Tech., and as a short term CT trainee under my current Cardiologist, i was aware of most of what your answers were.  PLEASE, no harm intended to you.
       I didn't get to see many PostHospital patients, and would like to ask if you could expand on what I should expect during AND AFTER The AV Node ablation w/ pacemaker insertion.  Can/will I be able to go back to weightlifting or working in a factory setting (Knowing there's a lot of electrical power generated there.)

-Thank You For Providing This Service To Us,
                                                          Jim G.

Dear Jim, thank you for your question.  AV node ablation with a pacemaker insertion is used to treat refractory atrial arrhythmias that are unresponsive to medications and direct current cardioversion.  While the atria will still remain in fibrillation or flutter, those impulses are no longer transmitted to the ventricles and the heart rate is thus controlled.  During the procedure, radiofrequency energy is used to ablate the AV node and a permanent pacemaker is inserted to pace the ventricle.  The pacemaker leads are inserted via the subclavian vein beneath the collarbone (usually on the left side) and the pacemaker battery is implanted beneath the skin below the collarbone.  The whole procedure takes 2-3 hours and sedation is given during the procedure to make it well-tolerated.  For 6 weeks after the procedure, the left arm cannot be used for lifting so that the leads will not dislodge as they are healing.  Whether you will be allowed to return to weightlifting after that time period is a question that your own physician will have to answer.  Modern pacemakers are not affected by microwaves and most electrical sources, but again, you would have to check with your own physician about working in the factory.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.

A related discussion, AV Node Ablation was started.