Heart Disease Community
Abdominal bruit diagnosis?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Abdominal bruit diagnosis?

I just found that during a visit with my  Dr. in Feb with a complaint of abdominal tenderness, ( I suspected was a result of taking ibuprofen for muscle soreness) , there was a notation in my medical file of an abdominal bruit (AB)
The only test that was done in Feb. as a result of the examination was an ex ray.  The AB was never mentioned to me.
I went to the after care Dr. This weekend for bronchitis and was told that they could not give me prednisone because of my history of AB.  I had never been told of this suspicion, so I was very curious and concerned. After doing a little research on AB, I decided to call my Dr. And find out what was going on.

I was told the ex ray showed no problem, so I was fine. I did not find that the diagnostic tool for AB is ex ray. Should I pursue this further, like request further testing, like an ultrasound?

This discussion is related to Abdominal Bruit.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi, if there was abdominal bruit it would have been pursued, as this can be life threatening. Consumption of ibuprofen causes  peptic ulcer disease or gastritis. This can cause pain abdomen. As you are prone for this your doctor has refused to give prednisolone as this can further aggravate the gastric symptoms. Any doubts, clarify with your doctor, thats the best way. Doppler ultrasonography can detect vascular abnormalities. Regards.
Thank you for your reply, I have since been seen by my primary care and he confirmed hearing the bruit and has scheduled a CT of the abdomen with contrast in two weeks to determine the size and location. That's the soonest they could get me in.  Will know more soon.