Heart Disease Expert Forum
Abdominal pulsing a concern?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Abdominal pulsing a concern?
Hello Doctor,

Thank you in advance for answering my question and for the great service that this website is to patients.

Over the past few weeks I have developed a very stong pulsing sensation in my abdomin, just to the left of my belly-button.  The pulsing does not occur constantly, but I do become aware of the sensation intermitantly (about 20 times) over the course of a day.  Sometimes I wake up with the pulsing sensation.  It almost has a fluttering feel to it.  

I should clarify that I AM NOT pressing down on the area with my hands (as one would do to take a pulse on the wrist, etc.)  It is strong enough that my stomach feels like it is throbbing.  I am not in any pain from this, but at times I feel a slight pressure in that area even when the pulsing is not occuring.  

Is this a commom sensation for normal, healthy folks?  

My grandfather died 20 years ago from an abdominal anuerism.  Not sure if that is useful info to add or not.

Thank you.
Dear searching,
I would get this checked out.  It could very well be an abdominal aneurysm.  The best test for this is an ultrasound.  If the ultrasound is normal then you can rest assured that you are a thin person with a strong aortic pulse.
On a lighter side, and probably not what you'd want to hear, I knew I was pregnant with my three children because I could feel my pulse in my abdomen, and that's the only time that happened.
Thanks for your comments arthur and jifizap.  You're right, jifizap!  That's NOT what I wanted to hear!  LOL  But, very funny.  Made me laugh.  :o)
Thank you, Doctor, for your quick response.  I will have this checked out.  I have always been thin, but have never felt anything quite like this..... so, I'll err on the side of caution.

I also have a strong abdominal pulse. I have dilated cardiomyopathy and has only developed with the diagnois of heart failure. I'm assuming that it could be the medication I'm on. I've had an ultrasound to check for an aneurysm, but it was fine. The doctor says it's just a strong heart.

Hi,this is a great site,first one that had anything about a pulsing tummy,I had it happen to me years ago it would go on for days, you really should have it check out by a heart doc.

Well this must be a fluke cos I just had to get out of bed and come downstairs cos I feel like I have palpitations in my stomach and felt a bit dizzy too.  

Like you T, I have a dilated cardiomyopathy and have only noticed bouts of these since the heart failure. One thing for sure with me though is that I don't have a strong heart lol so best mention this to my cardio!

Is 27 years old too young to be concerned with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms?  No one in my family has had them, but sometimes when I am lying down relaxing I think I feel a small pulse in my abdomin.  That would be the only time I recognize any sort of abdominal pulse.