Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ablation for Left Side of Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ablation for Left Side of Heart

I am a fifty year old woman and was recently told I have WPW and must have an ablation to correct it. My doctor says he believes the problem is on the left side of my heart and they will go in through an artery. Is the risk and success of an ablation on the left side equal that of the right side? If not, what are different results?

Thanks so much for your help.

Dale
The rates of success are similar. The risk of stroke is slightly higher when dealing with the left side.
I have a question about ablation? I have just undergone my second ablation(sinus node modification) . My resting heart rate was at 138 and never went below that (holter test) . The first ablation he did 16 burns and got my heartrate down to the 80's I felt great but it only lasted for a few days and it was back up . So one month later I go in for my second ablation this time the doctor was amazed that he did 19 more burns . after the surgury I was dizzy and lightheaded barely able to walk he kept me two days more . I have been home for about four days and still very dizzy and lightheaded my blood pressure is very low at resting it is 79/42 and after walking it is 85/50. I have always had low blood pressure not quite this low but pretty close . my resting pulse is 52 and after walking I can only get it to rise to about 82.What is too low for a pulse ? and why cann't I get my pulse to rise any higher ? thanks alot
If accurate, that blood pressure is very low and likely accounts for your symptoms. If your heart rate does not increase with exercise, the sinus node modification may have altered your sinus node too much. You should let your doctor know right away.
I also had the ablation done for my wpw  and mine was on the left side.  The only difference between that and the right side my doctor said was that I had to be given blood thinner.  They too went through my artery and I didn't have any problems.  I required about 2 weeks rest though because they used arteries in both legs.  I feel great and have had no problems.  Good luck, you will be glad you had it done!!!