Heart Disease Community
Ablation for left-sided atrial tachycardia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm a 24 year old, female, 5'4, 128 pounds, and in good health. About 7 months ago, I started having episodes of palpitations and was told they were brought on by panic attacks, and not by there being something wrong with my heart. To make a long story short, I had multiple doctor visits and EKG's and they all came out normal. It wasn't until a month ago that I had an unbearable episode of palpitations and I called the paramedics. I was taken to an ER and was informed I had an episode of AFIB. I was released only to go to another ER, where I was under observation for the night and given a diagnosis of Atrial Tachycardia, not Afib. About 2 weeks later, I was able to see a cardiologist, who looked at all my ekg's and said that in fact, according to the readings, I had episodes of atrial tachycardia and ectopic atrial rhythm. I was put on a 2 week event monitor. He referred me to an electrophysiologist and he reviewed my ekg event monitor readings and said that some episodes were just rapid heartbeat in normal sinus rhythm (possibly caused by panic attacks), but there were also some episodes of atrial tach, which he says are left-sided. I have been on metoprolol, but it only lasts for about two hours. I'm very symptomatic: lightheadedness, headaches, shortness of breath, chest pain. The EP mentioned that the best option would be to get catheter ablation for left-sided atrial tach. He said I could also be on medications for life to control the episodes, but that probably wouldn't be the most convenient option. I'm just a bit startled, since he pretty much said ablation is the best fix and said someone would call me to schedule it soon. It has all happened so fast that I really don't know what to make of it. Any input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.