Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ablation in Pulmonary Vein

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ablation in Pulmonary Vein

I have been diagnosed with a secondary focus in one of the pulmonary veins causing atrial fibrilation and very rapid heart beat.  This fibriliation and rapid heart beat are brought on by excersise. Heart rates of 250 bpm have been recorded on an event monitor.  I am 46 years old and i n great physical condition. I have run and bicyled for over 25 years. My e/p cardiologist is recommending a change of life style, basicly, quit running and cycling.  Apparently the ablation procedeure for dealing with this problem in the pulmonary vein is reltively new and not without risks.  How may such procedure have been done at the Clinic?  What are the prospects for reuming my active lifestyle?  Thank you.
Dear stevo,

My opinion is that although afib ablation is a relatively new procedure (the first report was published in 1998) it is effective and relatively low risk.  We have done over 100 afib ablations here and have about an 80% success rate after the first ablation.  The main risk is pulmonary vein stenosis but stroke may rarely occur.  Patients with successful ablations are able to resume all activities they previously were engaged in.  There are several postings on this site with extensive information concerning pulmonary vein ablation that you can also read.  If you would like to be considered for an afib ablation at the Cleveland Clinic I would suggest making an appointment with Dr. Natale or Dr. Saliba by calling the number below.
As an athlete who was cured of paroxysmal atrial fib, I can recommend a PV focus ablation as the way to go.  There's nothing quite as frustrating for an athlete than having to give up sports.  I can now engage in soccer at the same competitive level as before.

Check out some of the comments in this forum under PV foci and related terms.
Has anyone had pulmonary vein ablation done by Dr. Natale in Cleveland Clinic? Does anyone know how many have been done there and the success rate an ages of patients?

I have recently heard of someone that had this procedure done and their heart was punctured by Dr. Natale and therefore had to have emergency open heart surgery.  This makes this scary to those of us who have atrial fibrillation and dont know where it is coming from.

I would apreciate hearing about anyones situation that has AF.  I have paroxyml AF daily, and wish to find a way to get off the medications I am on and praying that this can be eliminated before it is too late.

Thank you.