Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ablation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ablation
Should have ablation procedure if the quality of life is fine and I haven't had an episode of afib for 6 months. The only time my heart really skips is after drinking alcohol? I have lost weight and have cut back on drinking don't smoke and I exercise daily. I really think I was only going to have ablation so I could drink more I don't really plan on going back to my old habits. My heart skips a few times during the day depending on what I'm doing, think ablation would be pretty drastic path to take in my situation .thank you
Hey there,

All medical procedures in cardiology are individualized and hence it is very difficult to give you a generic answer.
Generally speaking, we try to perform ablation when we have run out of other options or when the atrial fibrillation is extremely distressing.
I am not sure what you symptoms are when you go into atrial fibrillation but if you think that you do not want to go the ablation route, you must discuss your concerns with your electrophysiologist.
The two of you together would be able to determine the best course of action that will help you

Hope that helps