Heart Disease Community
Abnormal ECG results question.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Abnormal ECG results question.

I'm new here. I signed up to ask this question, but it does look like an interesting forum. I plan to visit often.
I had a pre-employment ecg (federal government job). It came back with abnormal results. I have a follow-up appointment with my regular Dr., but I'm anxious while waiting.

My results: Normal sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythma, Biatrial enlargement, Rightward axis, Incomplete right bundle branch block, Possible Anterior infarct, age undetermined, Abnormal ECG.

I had a stress test a couple years ago, and at that time, they said everything was find with my heart. I have acid reflux with occasional chest pain. They were ruling out heart trouble while treating gastro. , i have had a cery stressful year or so, worrying a lot about money and job situation. i was in an unpleasant workplace with conflcit with a co-workerI I quit my job before getting a new one. My husband has a good job, but it was still scary to do this. But my job was so stressful, I did it. Could stress have damaged my heart? Or could stress cause an abnormal result for a healthy person.

I'm worried about my heart, and I'm worried about being able to get this job now. They won't hire me now until my Dr. signs off. I think my dr. will sign off even if I have something that needs treatment, but I don;t know.

I have acid reflux that started about 5 years ago after a serious infection in my colon. It was probably due to food poisoning. I was hospitalized for 7 days with a bunch of powerful IV antibiotics. My digestion has never been the same. I don;t know if this could effect the heart. I didn;t think so.

I don;t smoke or drink. I have drank occasionally (in moderation) before, but I don;t since it hurts my reflux. I'm 5'7". 126 pounds and 42 years old. I'm small boned, so I'm not as skinny as it sounds. But I do think stress and worry about causing reflux keeps my weight down. I was about 130-134 pounds in my early 30s.
I really feel uncomfortable answering this post because you sound very nervous as it is. The ECG does show a couple of concerns. Firstly, "Biatrial enlargement". This means both atria (upper heart chambers) are dilated (enlarged). Really an echo is required to see the extent. The signal going to the right ventricle is blocked along the normal route. This is usually because the cells are damaged.  " Possible Anterior infarct, " This means the front of your heart looks like it had a previous heart attack, but how long ago is not known. The extent of the damage is not known.
I think your Doctor will organise further scans to establish what's going on. One important scan will be an Echocardiogram to look at the structure. This will see if the dilation of the Atria is caused by deficient valves. They will also hopefully be able to see the extent of scar tissue from your heart attack. If not, then your Doctor may organised a nuclear perfusion scan. Without an echo scan as a minimum, everyone can guess and so it's worth just waiting for the results. A nuclear scan may also determine if there are possible blockages forming in the coronary arteries. As a further measure, your Doctor may order a more recent stress test.
I would just like to add, don't worry. Your heart has a normal rhythm and is obviously working well enough not to give noticeable symptoms. The infarct may have affected a very small area, and if the valves are leaky they can be fixed.
Take care.
Thank you for you response.

I have been reading about ECGs today. Some of the information states that you lie still without talking during the test. She placed the electrodes (or whatever they are called) on me while talking to me. She never asked me to hold still. I continued talking to her and moving a little, I think during the test which was over before I knew it started. Could this throw my results off?
There is always a chance a lead could be loose but usually the ECG machine does a callibration test before they start. You are right though, you should be still. I still think it would be very wise if your Doctor orders an echo scan, which in non-invasive and will give a  lot of answers.
I'm posting a follow-up report in case anyone ever comes here searching with a question similar to mine. I saw my regular MD today. She compared my new EKG with one I had 3 years ago. She said they are almost completely identical. When I had the EKG 3 years ago, I also had a stress test and echocardiogram. Both were normal, so she I can ignore the computed generated diagnosis of biatrial enlargement because the echocardiogram showed no such enlargement. She states that this is a common computer error especially with a thin person like me. There is not as much padding between my heart and the sensors, so the spikes look longer. She states the opposite happens with larger  breasted women sometimes, where their spikes are shallow. She states that I do have the partial right bundle branch block, but that for me , it is totally benign. She said I may have been born with it. She said it is the branch block is benign for many people. She totally discounted any chance that I had had an infarction, so I hope she is right. She said if I had not had the previous test to compare the new, she would have sent me for an echocardiogream. BUt she also said she wouldn;t have been too alarmed.
Im glad it turned out ok. That's great news and thank you for taking the time to let us know. I would take a copy of that ECG report and carry it with you the next time you have one taken. Show them the report and say "if it comes out like this, throw it in the bin" :)