Heart Disease Expert Forum
Abnormal EKG

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Abnormal EKG

I am a 41 year old female with a sedentary lifestyle and weight 240 lbs.  I had an abnormal EKG.  They didn't seem all that worried.  I guess it was an abnormal T-Wave or something.  I was told to go for a workup (stress test, blood test, EEG).  I am in the process of moving from Texas to Illinois so have not had the chance.  My symptoms are the following:  Heart palpitations (can feel heart pounding in my throat), tightness in left shoulder (no pain), dizziness, confusion, sweating and nausea.  This seems to happen when I eat anything with sugar or do not eat for long periods of time.  

Can you advise on what this might be and where I can go in the Joliet/Naperville area to seek help?   I am wondering if this is heart or maybe the onset of diabetes?  

Thank you for your help.
tsbwave,
Abnormal T-Wave changes, and for that matter abnormal EKGs, are very common. The decision to pursue stress tests and blood work usually is made by a doctor after evaluating the entirety of the person's history and physical, rarely just because of an isolated EKG abnormality.

The symptoms you describe could be caused by something as simple as low blood sugar to more severe conditions associated with your heart or metabolism.  I would recommend that you pursue these symptoms with a doctor in your new area.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Joliet/Naperville area. Maybe one of our readers/commenters is ...

Hope that helps.
In Feb. I had an EKG because I told my doctor that I had started having mild chest pains. It showed abnormal T-waves.  I am 31 years old and have a serious paternal family history of heart disease.
  My doctor suggested that I have a stress test and full cardiac work-up.
  The cardiac work up was negative, but my stress test that I took on Aug. 23rd showed the abnormal T-waves on it.  The cardiologist said that he was concerned but not overly concerned.
  As of yet I haven't heard back on the results of the test.
I am seeking any information as to what this might mean with the T-waves, I hate to stress out on something I don't understand, but knowing one way or the other would be helpful.
  Thanks in advance.
A related discussion, abnormal t-waves was started.