Heart Disease Community
Abnormal Treadmill/Exercise Test Results

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi all. Please can anyone help with this? I am 3 months post cardiac ablation for focal atrial tachycardia. I've been getting this terrible dizziness since the ablation, getting worse as time goes on.

I had a 24 hour Holter monitor on 2 weeks ago & recorded over 60 episodes of the dizziness. It mainly comes on with exertion. While walking it can come on for a few seconds every 2 minutes! It is lightheadedness (not vertigo) & my GP has ruled out any ear problems. I'm not on any heart medication since the ablation.

I had a treadmill/exercise test on Thursday & the results are NOT normal!!  

Basically, my heart rate was 84 & BP 123/85 to start. During the test the systolic BP (top no.) is meant to increase but the diastolic (bottom no.) should stay about the same. The BP is measured every 2 minutes. After 2 mins the systolic went up to 153 but then at 4 mins DROPPED to 126.......which they were very concerned about as this is NOT normal!! At 6 mins it was 156 again. At 8 mins they stopped the test as I was dizzy, breathless & felt quite ill. I'd also been dizzy during the test but wanted to continue (they asked me if I wanted to stop) so that they could get enough readings etc.  

When they stopped the test, my heart rate would not drop below 114!! It is meant to go back to the starting rate of 84. I left the dept with it still going at 114!! The same thing happened a year ago when my heart rate would not go back down...........turned out I'd had an atrial tachy episode lasting 10 minutes that time. I don't know what caused it this time yet.

The technicians said they are sending the results to my EP but I'm not seeing him until the 15th. They said the drop in systolic is very abnormal as the systolic is measuring the pressure at which blood is pumped out from the heart to the aorta & round the body. I asked if this means there is a problem with my heart pumping blood out & is that why I keep feeling dizzy? The technicians said my EP would explain the results. They said the drop in the systolic was a genuine reading as the diastolic remained near enough the same throughout, as it should.

A week ago I noticed I was getting breathless again climbing stairs & walking to the bus stop for work etc. The breathlessness was a major symptom of my arrhythmia but it all went after the ablation.............now it is coming back.

Does anyone know anything about systolic BP dropping in the middle of a treadmill test?

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Please let me know if you can. Thanks.

Best wishes
Jane