Heart Disease Expert Forum
Accuracy of Cardiac MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Accuracy of Cardiac MRI

In Feb of this year I was diagnosed with PPCM (pregnancy induced cardiomyopathy) with an EF of 40-45%.  I had no symptoms so my cardiologist ordered another ECHO in April that showed my EF to still be in the 40-45% range, but he said it looked a little better.  In May, I had a cardiac MRI done and it showed an EF of 57%, which I was obviously very happy about.  My question is, which is more accurate, ECHO or MRI?  I had one cardiologist tell me that MRIs over-read EF and she typically takes the number from most recent ECHO and from MRI and splits the difference and says that is what your EF is.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Cardiac MRI is the most accurate available noninvasive imaging technique for determination of EF.
In response to your answer, since I am going in for another ECHO in July, should I expect the results of this ECHO to be similar to my cardiac MRI results?  Or it likely that the ECHO will show a lesser EF because it is not as advanced a technology?

Thanks!