Heart Disease Expert Forum
Afib and low blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Afib and low blood pressure

My father (69yo) suffer from AF (atrial fibrilliation)- doctors say etiology is unknown in this case. He has low blood pressure and low heart rate during casual days, exept of course when he has AF. AF takes usually several hours (over 200 beats/minute) and comes sometimes without any reason (sometimes the reason is high temperature- weather, being tired after some work in garden, being in room where is stiflingly). He takes medications to prevent himself from AF but they don't work. 6 doctors tried without result to determine the etiology and choose the right medicaments on basis of different tests (incl. Holter, Echo, morphology, hormons of thyroid, potasium and magnezium). The problem is that some medicaments which doctors would like to prescribe him he cannot take because he has normally low heart rate and low blood pressure and the medicaments would make it unacceptably too low. I would be gratefull for any advice on medicaments and therapy for person with low heart rate and blood pressure who suffer from AF.
Hi minttu,

These symptoms would qualify as a "tachy-brady" syndrome, meanning his heart rate is either too fast or too slow with significant symptoms.   Sometimes the only option is to implant a pacemaker.  Once the pacemaker is in, a medication like tikosyn (which doesn't lower blood pressure) may be helpful to control the atrial fibrillation.

It all depends on symptomatic he is from the bradycardia and atrial fibrillation.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.
I am a 54 year old female diagnosed with PVC's.  I get lightheaded constantly and was recently put on metoprolol 25 mg.
Only 25 mg due to low b/p

They say pvc's will not hurt you but my quality of life is being affected. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
I have already had cardiac cath, echo etc all normal.
When I have dizzy and light headedness I take pulse and it skips a beat or two, makes you think it is not going to start up again, scares the hell out of me.
Thanks for listening