Heart Disease Expert Forum
Afib in a 11 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Afib in a 11 year old

My 11 year old son just recently went through a cardiac catheter in hopes to ablate what had been diagnosed since birth as WPW.   They were unable to do the ablation, as they could not get him to any tachycardia, but  found that he easily went into A fib.  I know what AFib is, but my question is how could the diagnosis change from WPW to A Fib. He has no other heart problems other than a innocent murmur, and all thyroid tests have come back good.  I understand that this is rare in children, and that there is  a possibility of growing out of it, but what would happen if he doesn't out grow it?
Dear Chris
WPW and afib can coexist. I cannot say if this is the case with your child. If catheter ablation is not successful, WPW (as well as afib) can be managed with medicines.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.