Heart Disease Expert Forum
After angioplasty/stent????

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

After angioplasty/stent????
I had angioplasty last Wed.(two blockages,two stents) I came home Thurs.without seeing a Dr. to ask what to expect...since I came home on Plavix, nitro,zocor and lopress I'm assuming I'm not out of the woods, but what is typical post angio symptoms?  Is it normal to have sweats now and then? ...chest and arm discomfort now and then?.... I dont want to get paranoid about every twinge but should there be twinges???  Can someone share their experiences with me? Can A Dr. tell me what to look for if there is a problem?  Is there rejection problems with stents? It took me 5 days to make myself go for help in the first place thinking I had hernia or problem with my reflux disease, just dont want to be stupid again and put things on a shelf that I shouldn't.......Thanx........
In general, you should be on the look out for symptoms similar to your initial presenting chest pain to recur.  With a stent, the liklihood of restenosis or a recurrent blockage is quite low. Plavix along with modificaitonof your other risk factors including lowering your lipids ,losing weight, controlling blood pressure and diabetes will all help.

If you have any concerns whatsoever, you should call your referring physician or the interventionalist who did the procedure.  Many cardiologists will order a follow up stress test  within the ensuing 6 months to assess the success of the procedure.
I had angioplasty last month (98% blockage, two stents).  I went home with Plavix, Tiazac, Glucophage (for diabetes), and Lipitor.  I saw my cardiologist 2 weeks ago for an echo stress test, which according to him was very good.  He wants to see me in about 3 months for a "regular visit", and in 6 months for another echo stress test.  He told me that if that test is normal, I would be out of the woods.  The danger now is that I might develop scar tissue at the stents site.  To answer your questions: I do not have sweats ever or chest and arm discomfort.  However once in a while I feel some twinges in my chest, and also my feet swell.  Hope this help.  Take care
Thank you for your comments.
Had 1 steel stint put in place after a heart attack on vacation in CO the end of July.  Yesterday evening I started experiencing very mild but constant chest pain in the same place my other attack started, just worisome more than anything.    I had been doing nothing to warrant another attack, in fact I am not sure this is another attack and don't  want to be running and crying wolf everytime I have a small pain.  
A related discussion, chest pain return was started.
A related discussion, stent was started.