Heart Disease Community
After effects of Pacemaker Implant (St Judes-PM2210)

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Q:  Did any one experience high fluctuations and big increases in BP after the pacemaker (St Jude PM2210) implant?

-  I am 74 yr old diabetic with hi-BP.  I got my first pacemaker installed around mid Sept, '11. After getting the pacemaker, my BP readings have been progressively worst week by week. Befor the pacemaker, for years my top (systolic) readings used to around 110 to max of around 160, and after the pacemaker, they even reached worst level of around 190, and yesterday scary level of 225.

- Even though my family phys added Clonidine to previous BP-meds of Altace, HCTZ, and Cardura, my BP keeps moving higher an higehr each week... I never had so high numbers before the pacemaker.

Q:  Could this problem be due to pacemaker pushing the heart to push faster, harder and more and more amount of blood (pacemker is set to "min of 60-80/90 bpm" now v. "about 50-70 bpm" befor)  through the same "old and narrow" arteries and blood vessels that cannot handle thsi higher amount, thus resulting in higher and higher BP?

What can or should the Docs do to control this seriously deteriorating condition which might even lead to a serious life threatening emergency?

Someone please share the similar common problem if they faced it before and how they resolved it, and any doctor who might have any suggestions/recommendations, please --- Thanks a MILLION --- Ray-DC
This is an interesting post to me.  I love my pacemaker, but if they aren't programmed right they can be a problem.

My pacer was inserted three years ago, and my heart rate and blood pressure rates were great afterwards.  However, I had to have bypass surgery, and following the surgery my heart rate and blood pressure was hard to control.  The docs contacted my pacer manufacturer and together, they found the problem.
I'd strongly urge you to contact St. Judes and send them the very well worded post that you sent us, and ask them for some help.  St. Jude's advice will trump your Cardiologist's suggestions.  
Another thought... You are, I think, taking two Alpha Blocker drugs.  I'm not a health professional, but I'd ask your doctor if a beta blocker might be beneficial.

Keep us informed.
Thanks a MILLION.
I will share this suggestion with my doctors plus talk to St. Jude's Medical --- Ray ---
I had a surprise double bypass on 4/29/2013. While still in hospital they (Approx 4 days later) had to do a procedure using those shock paddles then 3 days later installed a PM2210 Pacemaker. This all happened so dang fast and after reading all of this it scares me to death. I have no idea what symptoms to look for if things are not right. I am so very confused.
Mine went absolutely crazy this weekend.  Supposed to be set at 60 beats for low, and turn on if it goes below.  However, it turned on and beat at over 80 for several days.  Heart rate went bouncing around at 80-130, lots of fibrulation, making me feel strange, went to ER and they said nothing wrong with me, but get the pacer checked. Is there something wrong with this model PM2210?  What is it?  Anyone?
Pacers are inserted for a variety of reasons and can be programmed many ways.  I have a Biometric Pacer, and following my bypass surgery as mentioned in a much earlier post on this thread, my heart rate would suddenly jump to about 135 bpm and stay there for hours, like yours is doing, Francis.
Pacers can be set to activate if the heart beat drops too low, too high, and also have 'anticipation' settings, it can speed up the heart based on something in the bloodstream.
As there were changes in my medications, exercise, diet, emotions after bypass, they had to tweak how my bypass was programmed.  In my case, they had to turn off the anticipation feature, that solved the problem.  In a nutshell, I'd suggest talking with your cardiologist.  
Avatar n tn
I had the same pacemaker put in when my heart rate would not raise above 32 BPM.  My normal blood pressure was about 90/60.  Now it is around 120/90.
My problem is that I was passing out with the low heart rate.  I felt great for the first two weeks after getting the pacemaker.  Then, I started passing out again.  After some testing, they found that my pacemaker runs me up to 120 BPM and drops to 55 BPM but does not raise to the acceptable heart rate.  The techs from St. Jude reprogrammed  but again it only lasted for two weeks.
They have run EEG's, Sleep studies etc. to figure out why I keep passing out and finally, I believe everyone must see that it is the pacemaker.
I don't know what the next move is but I am tired of passing out continually and just want them to fix me.
Anyone else with this problem?