Heart Disease Community
Alcohol and Rapid Heartbeat

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Alcohol and Rapid Heartbeat

Over the past year, I have noticed when I have 2-3 drinks in an evening, my heart rate will increase to over 120. I'll also feel anxious. This lasts for several hours after. I am a 39 yo male, don't smoke and take Advair for asthma and omeprazole for gerd. Alcohol has not had this effect on me in the past. Is this normal to happen as one gets older and is this heart rate increase dangerous?
Thank you
it certainly is strange...and no, I am much older than you and dont get that................maybe it is because it makes you feel anxious, which is odd, because alcohol is a depressant.
Avatar n tn
What about the mix of Advair and alcohol? Advair didn't sit too well with me...can't imagine what drinking would of done being added to the mix. Something you could look into or deeper into the side effects of Advair.
Avatar n tn
Alcohol makes my heart beat fast also but I didn't notice it much when I was younger.  Tachycardia is one of the unpleasant side effects of the alcohol being metabolized by your body.  120 bpm is not unsafe.
Avatar n tn
I attribute it to my pre-diabetes. Fasting I stay at 90 glucose.  Alcohol will lower this but it will rate my heart rate by 10-15.   My normal is 80 but I will see 90-95 after drinking.  Check your normal blood sugar.
Alcohol doesn't casue tac hycardia by affecting the heart directly. However it is a vasodilator which causes the peripheral blood vessels to dilate.  This would result in a drop in blood pressure so in order to compensate and maintain a normal flow of blood around the body the heart rate must increase.