Heart Disease Expert Forum
Allergic to Beta Blockers

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Allergic to Beta Blockers
I have a postive test result for tilt table test. With the diagnosis of secondary vasodepressor neurocardiogenic syncope. My Doctor said I need to take Beta blockers to avoid having another neurocardiogenic syncope or vasovagal syndrome.  I have already had a MRI with contrast to rule out Brain problem, ENT cleared me of Veritgo, the Echo was clear aslo.  I have tired Metroprolol made me foggy and completely tired.  Bystolic was the same problem within 10 days.  Carvodilol made me dizzy and after 10 days I got hives.  Now I trying Atenolol with 2 doses I am really itchy.   I have many drug related allergies.  I am getting tired and my doctor said she has never had a patient to have allergies to beta blockers.  Does anyone have the same problem with them?
Fatigue is a relatively common side effect of beta-blockers. In many people this gets better with time though in some it does not. In regards to the hives and itching, it is not a common side effect of beta-blockers though any medication has the potential to cause hives if the person taking the medication has a specific allergic reaction to something contained in the medication. I hope this helps.
A related discussion, beta blocker allergy was started.