Heart Disease Community
Alternate of Bypass Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Alternate of Bypass Surgery

My father Shri O P Goenka (age 69 years and weight 90 kgs) underwent Angiography on 29th July and has been diagnosed to have 4 significant/critical blockages in 3 arteries. Around 90% in 2 places and around 70% in balance 2 places. He has been suggested to go for Bypass surgery for avoiding future complications. However, as of now he is not having any heart ailment like uneasiness, chest pain etc. He had some problem 45 days earlier when for 2~3 minutes he had felt suffocation & breathlessness while he was at a hill station and thereafter on returning to the plains he had similar feeling twice.

We are based in Kolkata and are not in favour of surgeries. Hence we were searching for alternate treatment, while searching I came across your web site which gives non-surgical treatment as an alternate.

Request you to kindly let me know the following:

·        Whether my father’s ailments are curable by EECP instead of Bypass surgery?

·        How successful is EECP as compared to Bypass?

·        How much time will be required for the treatment?

·        What would be the approx. cost of the treatment?

·        Can we check on any references who have gone through this treatment in or around Kolkata?

On getting your feedback I can call you for fixing an appointment.

Thanks & Regards

Yogesh Goenka

09831593000

I can give you some information regarding EECP, but unable to recommend any sites around Kolata and cost.  I can tell you Medicare (U.S. insurance and very conservative and the insurance will pay for the procedure...to be eligible one can not be successfully treted with medication).

EECP therapy is a non-invasive treatment and clinical experience has shown it to be safe and to have benefit for the treatment of angina (chest pain, etc.) and heart failure...source: Cardiology in Review 2004 Jan-Feb. 12.  Approximately 80% of patients who complete the 35-hour course (1 hour a day for 7 weeks) experience significant symptom relief that may last up to 3 years (lasts up to 5 years for some people), source: University of Pittsburgh, graduate School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology.

There is no cure for coronary artery disease, all CAD treatments (CABG, stent implant, medication, EECP) treats the symptoms, and that usually is shortness of breath, muscle faigue (lack energy), angina (chest pain, etc.)....

Honestly Yogesh your father is not that old so he should be able to come out of Bypass surgery well and recover well. With that much blockage I would certainly do the bypass surgery since that will prevent a future heart attack and you do not want to take the risk and have your father's heart permanently damaged by a heart attack. Recovery from that and complications can have an impact for the rest of his life.
I had an angiography and the results was 3 heart artery blockages 70% and 90%. This was  9 years ago (I am 80 years now). I have been hospitalized at that time becasue of some pain in m chest. I have no angina. The doctors insisted that I do a bypass surgery, but I refused and since then I had chest pains- which some doctors say it has to do with muscles and not the heart .   Statistics say that the heart patients risk to die is the same if they take good medicine or do operations. I chose to take medicines.  I am not going to be operated on. Bypass surgery has its problems and even and usually about 30% of  these patients have to redo it
I advise you to take a second opinion from a non-invasive heart specialist (not a surgeon-because he will advise an operation - no dishonesty, but that is what he is trained to do).

Go to the internet and read this:
Alternative Or Alternatives To Bypass Surgery And Angioplasty
In other words, the heart has put in its own bypasses with the help of medical therapy with modern drugs that is an alternative to bypass surgery. ...
http://www.heartprotect.com/alternatives.shtml -

Good luck.

S.M.B.
i HAVE  ONE THROUGH SOME WEBSITE OF EECP ENHANCED EXTERNAL COUNTER PULSASTION THERAPY. iT IS APPROVED BY FDA USA. RESARCH EECP. IN INDIA, ESCORT HEART HOSPITL IS DOING THIS THERAPY. IT IS AN OUT DOOR TREATMENT. IT IS ONE HOR SITTING  FOR 35 DAYS.COST IN INDIA  I DO NOT KNOW.
IN USA PROBABLY IT COSTS$ 6000, IT MUSI BE LESS IN INDIA, iN INDORE, AN HOSPITAL NAMED MALWA HOSPITAL ,DHAR ROAD HAS STARTED THIS THERAPY JUST FEW DAYS BEFORE.,YOU MAY FIND IT IN WEB SITE.dR.YADAV IS IN CHAARGE.
I have not seen any statistics regarding relying on luck instead of surgery. With a 90% occlusion in particular, it makes me cringe with the thought of that huge lump of plaque waiting to burst open to release the contents into narrow vessels of the Heart of Brain. Medication may help symptoms, but it does not remove the time bomb.
It's like sitting next to an unexploded bomb and having to make a decision on medication to keep you sedated from the fear of it going off, or hiring someone to defuse the bomb. I know what I would choose every time. Some people are lucky and the foam cells stay embedded for their remaining natural lives, but there are even more that are not so lucky. That's just my opinion.
I would seriously consider having the bypass surgery. However, I would ensure it is well planned and you are involved in all the decisions. I would have your Fathers Mammary arteries scanned to see what conditiont they are in. If healthy, I would insist both the Lima and Rima vessels are used. These are arteries and they last a lot longer than Veins which are the major cause for redo bypass surgery. Veins are weaker vessels and can last anywhere between a few months to 20+ years and what life span you get from them is luck. The Lima and Rima are very strong vessels and will last the rest of your fathers natural life. If they require more vessels then they will have to use a Vein or 2 but as long as the most important grafts are the Arteries, he will have a much healthier life for many years to come.
I had a triple bypass in Sept 07 and it does feel uncomfortable for the first couple of days. On the third day you are up and walking around, up and down stairs. Usually on the fifth day you are discharged. Before surgery, ensure they do a lung function test on your Father, this will ensure his lungs are strong for recovery and is important. If I can go through with it, anyone can, I was a real coward, actually shaking with fear as they took me into the theatre. If they use the Lima and Rima vessels, then these can be stented
if they develop stenosis. The heart is a valuable organ obviously and your decision is very important on this matter. I am not telling you what you should do, I'm simply saying what I would do in your case. Please keep us informed and ask any questions which you feel may help you.