Heart Disease Community
Am I at risk of dying? Quivering throughout the left chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Please help!

I know this is not a forum for medical diagnosis, but your personal options are very appreciated!!

Am I at risk of dying?

- Daily quivering sensations: 1) around the lowest rib on the left hand side, 2) upper left chest, 3 inches in from armpit, 3) left of center of rib case, about 2 inches at 10 o'clock from left nipple.

- Daily, mild, pinching-like pain, just below the surface, at the above three locations.  Mostly #1 and #2.

- Popping sensation, just below the surface, at location #3 above.

- Overall hyperawareness of heartbeat and the issues above

- No negative impacts on exercise as far as I can tell (I go to the gym daily).

- Very disturbing, losing sleep and having a hard time relaxing while all this is going on

- This has been going on, off and on, for nearly a decade (I am 29, male, 6'3", 175lbs) but has been very consistent the past two weeks.
Tags: quivering
I am a rheumatic heart patient, very active (like you) and experiencing the same things since January of this year.  I went to the doctor for the weird heart stuff you are exactly describing  and have since seen dozens of doctors and specialists, and had numerous labs/MRI's/spinal taps--you name it with no conclusive answer.  I've been thought to have everything from lupus to an aneurism (aneurysm) to strokes to MS.  I pray someone has some answer for us.
yes i do agree were very healthy and there seems to be no problem but we still experience this weird stuff, I am near conclusion that this may be just panic attacks. although the symptoms are slightly different for us but basically its all the same.
Do panic attacks happen when you are calm?

I agree that panic/anxiety could explain it - but I've tried some really effective meditation before while this is happening, and it doesn't change the symptoms.

I am just trying to make sure I am not at risk of death!  Sometimes, the quivering/spasms are very intense and... well.. I just can't image this is a good thing or a mild thing.

hhb, which of the diagnoses seems to be the most accurate so far?
I remembered reading about this and there was a name for it. Had to look it up. Muscle fasciculations. They can be just random twitches and quivers or they can be ongoing. Some causes are stress, diet deficiencies, too much caffeine, certain med side effects and even exercise. There are some serious possibilities too but if this has been going on for a decade, you would have had other symptoms by now.
ireneo - often times, i wonder about that myself.  Since the symptoms seem to happen over such a broad area on my left side (#1, #2, and #3 above), then it's either an issue with the left lung or muscles in the left rib cage.  Muscles have spasm and can be sore, which fits the bill.

Other times, though, it feels *sooo much* like its my heart and is pumping related.  Any ideas?
Like you mentioned it seems most of the quivers and twitches are wide spread and shallow. The feeling of a strong heartbeat is called palpitations. Most people feel that occasionally when they've been running, stressed, very tired, etc. I feel mine pound at night when it's quiet and I've eaten too much, had too much sodium, bloated or had a little beer. It's harmless but keeps me awake for a bit.

The best way to make sure your heart is fine is to have a couple of tests like an EKG and an echo. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape otherwise. Hope you get the answers and peace of mind you need.