Heart Disease Expert Forum
Am I going to have a heart attack?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Am I going to have a heart attack?

I'm a 26 yr old female. I had an enlarged heart for a short period of time after having asthma as a child but then it went back to normal. I am a healthy weight, don't smoke and have no family history of heart problems (apart from one Grandma getting angina in her old age). I have been having dizzy spells (accompanied by mild to moderate disorientation) for about 2 months with tingling in my arms, chest and lips accompanied by feeling like I can't get enough air and having to force deep breaths and also a feeling of indigestion. For the past 2 weeks I have had chest, back, jaw and arm pain. The dizzy episodes are now happening daily, often associated with nausea. I also get cold hands frequently. My heart jumps sometimes and this can happen frequently and last up to a minute occasionally. I have been very tired (sleeping for many hours and napping yet still tired) for the past year.

I have had multiple ECGs and blood tests and they were ok. My blood pressure is also fine, if not slightly on the low side sometimes. However, I had a 24 hour ecg and they said it looked like I may not have been getting enough blood to my heart at one point, but that this is probably nothing to worry about, as they are often inaccurate.

In the last 24 hours I've had like a tingly cold sensation mainly in the left side of my chest.

I have had a stress test and an echocardiogram and am going for results tomorrow. If results are ok should I still be worried? I've read many articles that say I may well be about to have a heart attack.

Please, please help I'm scared and very upset
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I can understand why you would be concerned. It would very unusual for these symptoms in a person of your age group and stated health to be having a heart attack. I agree with the echocardiogram to ensure that your heart muscle and valves look normal. There could be many explanations for your symptoms, and if the EKG and echocardiogram are both normal this is very reassuring.
well in 48 and always been healthy,but i had those same symtoms (symptoms) and all the ekgs and other test came back good,buti did end up having a heart attack,and thank goodness my doctor wanted to cath me and go inside and look for himself,there was blockage,and i have had 4 heart attacks within the last year,my LAD artery keeps getting blocked,i can always tell when i get blockage because i get short of breath really bad,i ve had 2 heart attacks,2 caths,and now have a blood clot in my heart all in 2 1/2 months,shortess of breath and tingling in the chest and arm are othing to mess around with,listen to your body..i went to my heart doc last week and told him i new i had more blockage,because i couldnt breath,he didnt believe me,so 3 days later i go to the ER and they do a cath,50 % blocked again.....always listen to your body,get second apions if you have to.
oh dear that's worrying! Do you mind if I ask you some further questions to see how similar your case is to mine?

Do you have any family history of heart problems?
What exact symptoms did you have, how bad and for how long before you started having heart attacks?

What exact tests did you have that all came out fine? Did you find excercising was ok?

What is your BMI?

Thanks for your help.