Heart Disease Expert Forum
Am I having a problem with my medication?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Just a little back ground I am 34 years old and have high blood pressure, I had a renal artierial bypass at 20 and there were hopes this would help this situation but it didn't.  I have been taking Vaseretic 10-20mg once a day for about the last 2-3 years.  It seems that I have had a problem loosing weight over this period of time no matter how much I exercise. I know from reading the material that comes with my medication that swelling of the face can be a side effect.  I think this sounds strange but sometimes I wake up in the morning and my tongue looks like it is swallon it will be soar on the sides and have teeth indentions on it from I guess laying up against the teeth.

My question is could the weight problem and the tounge thing be related and from my medication?

Thank you,
Rana
Dear Rana,
Vasoretic is a combination pill containing enalapril (a drug in the ACE inhibitor family) and HCTZ (a diuretic).  Weight gain is not a common side-effect of this medication although some fluid retention may occur if the medication is not taken on a regular basis.  The swelling refered to is called "angioedema".  This is due to ACE inhibitors and is generally an intense reaction that leads to marked swelling.  What you are describing does not sound like typical angioedema but I would mention it to your doctor on your next visit.