Heart Disease Expert Forum
Amiodarone and Cardioversion
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Amiodarone and Cardioversion

Brief history of my heart health: My age is 66. Pacemaker implanted in November 1994 because of bradycardia and tachycardia. Congestive heart failure in May 2001. Unsuccessful cardioversion in August 2001 with the drug sotalol. I take lanoxin, coumadin, lopressor and synthroid. Also, colchicine when I get attacks of gout.  My heart rate is between 70-80 when I am checked by doctor.

My cardiologist has given me the option of taking amiodarone for 3 weeks and undergoing another cardioversion. I am somewhat afraid to take this drug because of the many side effects.  I think my main concern is the side effect with the lungs.

My questions are:
If I do decide to go this route, should I have the following tests before proceeding - pulmonary function, blood test for lanoxin, pro time, T3, T4, T7 and liver?
What other tests do you recommend?

Can you give me a ball park figure as to how successful or unsuccessful this drug has been?

Thank you very much for your help.

Joni