Aa
A
A
Close
Amiodarone
I have been on amiodarone for 7 months following quadruple by-pass, resection of heart, and pacemaker surgery. Now I have been diagnosed with restricted lung disease. Since I have stopped taking this drug, will my lungs ever recover?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
66068 tn?1365196781
I am very sorry to hear of your lung complications as a result of taking amiodarone. I think only time will tell if your lungs will fully recover. There's a good chance that they might. .. but there is also the danger that they might not. Amiodarone persists in the body (half life of 45 days), so an improvement wouldn't be expected to be obvious for at least a couple of months.  Amiodarone can permanently damage the lungs in some cases.  Here's a summary from an web medical article on the subject:

"The most serious side effect of amiodarone is pulmonary toxicity - lung disease. One form of lung problem caused by amiodarone is an acute pulmonary syndrome that looks and acts just like typical pneumonia - sudden onset of cough and shortness of breath. This condition usually improves rapidly once amiodarone is stopped. The second form is more insidious - it is a gradual, unnoticeable, "stiffening" of the lungs that both the doctor and patient can overlook until finally severe, probably irreversible lung damage is done. "

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Tony
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764
Blank
Blank
Blank
Ireland
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
4522800 tn?1470329434
Blank
VICourageous commented on meegWpaw's status
12 hrs ago
4522800 tn?1470329434
Blank
VICourageous commented on meegWpaw's status
15 hrs ago
Blank
Nacht246 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Aug 22
Heart Disease Community Resources