Heart Disease Expert Forum
Amiodarone

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Amiodarone

My friend has been given a prescription of the above medication.  In reading the info, he learned that he would normally be kept in a hospital for about a week for monitoring when first taking this medication.  He also read that he would be carefully monitored but his next appt with the cardiologist is in a month.  
Do we need to see another cardiologist??

It depends on the indication for the medication.  Amiodarone can have some significant side effects, but these often aren't seen until the patient has used it for months to years.  It is not always necessary to monitor the patient in the hospital when starting the drug.  Also, if your friend is young, I would consider asking his/her doctor if there is another drug that can be used if the patient is expected to be on amiodarone long-term.  It can have severe and irreversible side effects after years of use, so we try to avoid it in younger patients.  Hope this helps.  Best of luck.