Heart Disease Expert Forum
Amiodarone

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Amiodarone

I have a couple of questions.  How long is it safe for someone in their early 30's to be on amiodarone?  Are side effects likely, on unlikely?  When my EP doctor put me on it, I asked if there were side effects and he said if I new all of them I wouldn't want to take it.  That was reassuring. HA.

Also, do you know if the flu vaccine has any effect on coumadin levels?

Last question.  Is it possible to come down with the full blown flu 5 days after getting the flu shot?  And is it necessary to see a doctor if you have breathing or arrythmia problems and taking alot of meds.?

Thank you so much.
Side effects with amiodarone are very dependent on the dose. The lower doses used for atrial fibrillation are much less likely to lead to side effects, while the higher doses used for ventricular arrhythmias are much more likely to lead to side effects, especially with long-term use.
No effect on coumadin levels with the flu vaccine that I know of.
The flu shot does not cause the flu. You can still get the flu after the vaccine though. If you are having breathing or arrhythmia problems, you should see your doctor.
I am 47 and started on amiodarone last August.  My doctor told me much the same thing yours did - do not read the warnings and side effects, they will just scare you.  So I waited a couple of months to read them.  The only side effect I've had so far is that I sunburn extremely easily.  I've gone down to 200 mg./day, and have wondered if I can go lower.  I plan to ask my doctor in a couple of weeks when I have a regular appointment.
I am 49 yrs old, Iam on ameidorone 200 grs aday  for the last 12 months. I have my regular blood check up for thyrod and liver function and thanks god I do not have any side effect.
According to the PDR, the flu vaccine DOES have an effect on Coumadin.