Heart Disease Expert Forum
Amioderone

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Amioderone

I have been taking Amioderone to control ventricular tachycardia for three and a half months now. There are multiple days when I feel normal and other days when I feel dizzy, disoriented and weak. I have an ICD also that paces the ventricle. Is it possible I am suffering from pacing syndrome or can I have intermittant problems with amioderone side-effects. My regular cardiologist is doubtful that amioderone would give intermittant side-effects after three months. He feels I would have consistent side-effects or the issue is not related to medicine. If not medicine than what could it be. Is it possible to have some arrythmia effects below the threshold set by my ICD. Please let me know your opinion why I still have bad feelings intermittantly.
  Thanks,
  Mike

_
Dear Mike,
I agree with your physician,as it is very unusual if not impossible for a drug that you take every day to have intermittent side effects. Like you I am also concerned that your ICD/pacing unit is malfunctioning, if not suboptimally set for your needs.  You really need to call your electrophysiologist(cardiolgist that specializes in heart arrhythmias, ICDs and pacemakers.) A holter monitor for 24-48 hours or an event recorder would be very helpful as it might catch an abnormality in your heart rhythm during these episodes of not feeling well.  Regardless, the ICD memory can be interogated/checked for abnormalities and malfunction.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please
call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your
cardiac problem.