Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aneurysm interatrial septum

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aneurysm interatrial septum
I am 38 years old and have had recently echocardiogram done since I felt that I had irregular heartbeat.  The results were almost normal, however one finding puzzled my family doctor who had no idea what it meant:  "Mobile ? aneurysm interatrial septum.  No definite evidence of atrial shunt."  Can you please let me know what it means?  Thank you.
Dear Lubenka,
An aneurysm is a "sac or dilation" of a structure of the body.  The intratrial septum is the wall between the two upper chambers of the heart.  Aneurysms in this area appear as  a "floppy" intra-atrial wall.  This is sometimes associated with a hole or shunt between the two chambers but this was not detected in your case.  In general this is not something which needs treatment.
A related discussion, Aneurysm intra-atrial septum was started.
A related discussion, Atrium Septim Anursym was started.