Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aneurysm
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aneurysm

My grandfather is 81 years old and has lived with heart disease for almost 30 years, although it has been 20 years since his last heart attack.  It was recently discovered that he has an aneurysm behind each of his kneecaps and will need surgery to repair them.

He survived a brain aneurysm many years ago so this is nothing new for him, but I have 2 questions:

1)  Is it coincidence that he has developed these aneurysms or are they directly linked to his heart problems?

2)  How much of a threat are the aneurysms in his knee?  The doctors are downplaying them as easily repairable but do they present the same danger to him that they would were they elsewhere in his body?

Thanks for the info.
Related Discussions
238668_tn?1232735930
Aneurysms are not directly related to the heart but the same things that lead to aneurysms (high blood pressure, cholesterol) also lead to heart problems.  An aneurysm in the knee is much less risky than one in the heart or brain.
3 Comments
Blank
I would like to know if anyone has had a successful operation for an aneurysm located behind the heart.  They say it is difficult to get to and don't want to perform surgery until it enlarges.. it is already around 4 cm.  This is a 47 year old male.  The aneurysm was caused by angioplasty performed at a  local hospital.  We have had doctors tell us it was caused by error, doctors from another hospital.  If someone would help it would be truly appreciated.  Thank You
Blank
238668_tn?1232735930
I'm not sure exactly where the aneurysm in question is but most can be operated on and repaired.  It is common to follow an aneurysm and wait on surgery as long as possible.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank