Heart Disease Expert Forum
Angina and angioplasty

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Angina and angioplasty

I am a 66 yr old male with dilated cardiomyopathy and had bypass surgury 7 years ago.  The diagnosis was made with the aid of xray and echo.  I feel good, play tennis a couple of days a week and golf a couple of days as well.  I suffer from shortness of breath now and then after some exertion but not during the nightime.  There is no swelling of the feet or other symtoms (symptoms).
I recently had a pacemaker installed due to passing out as I settled into bed at night.  I suffer from angina at the onset of exercise and sometimes for no apparent reason after awakening during the night. I am presently on coumidin and accupril.
Can angioplasty be performed on a patient that has had a bypass?
Is coreg appropriate at this time in my treatment?
Dear Donald

Patients with prior bypass surgery can still have angioplasty, either on their native coronary arteries or on the bypass grafts. Coreg is a useful medication for patients with heart failure, but it can be tricky to dose it safely.

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck.