Heart Disease Expert Forum
Angiogram Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Angiogram Results

My dad  has a lot of chest pain and pain going down his hand , then doctor advise to go for an angiogram. The results were primary diagnoses IHD
Secondary diagnoses COPD, HDN, Cholestrolaemia,Gout, Osterarthritis, Urinary retention secondary to BPH,, Chest pain releived by GTN

Course in hospital Angioram organised revealed 80-90% stenosis of RCA (non-dominant) can any one explain what all of this means as we are very confused no one has said will he need a stent or bypass or can they do anything for his as he has been getting so much chest pain at rest and cant do much he is 74years old I would be greatful if any one could explain to me what is happening as my dad cant understand any of what the doctors say and nether can my mum. so I would like if you could tell me what all this means in plain langague please.
The first paragraph is just the doctors dictation of the diagnoses that he carries (COPD, hypertension, high cholesterol, gout, arthritis, BPH) and chest pain which was resolved with nitroglycerin. The IHD means ischemic heart disease, which means there is some heart disease caused by narrowed heart arteries.

However, the second paragraph you give the 80-90 stenosis of RCA which is non-dominant. What that means is that the right coronary artery (RCA), which is the artery to the back of your heart has a 80-90% blockage, which is severe. HOWEVER, if it is non-dominant, it is a small artery that does not affect much of the heart muscle, and is something that often is not fixed with stent because the muscle affected is so small. If he actually has ischemic heart disease, and this is the only blockage, overall despite it sounding bad, is a small artery, which is reassuring. Bypass or stents to these vessels are not typically done, except in the most extreme circumstances.
A related discussion, Stents was started.