Heart Disease Expert Forum
Angioplasty with high creatinine

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Angioplasty with high creatinine

My dad is a diabetic and has elevated creatinine levels. 1.9 to be exact. He had to undergo an angiography which revealed 2 blockages. The doctors performed an angioplasty and removed one block and recommended the 2nd angioplasty post we observe his creatinint levels as the dye can elevate them further. We checked today and his creatinine level has gone upto 2.4 though it has been only 48 hours since the 1st angioplasty.

The nephrologist has suggested to wait for 2 more days and observe the creatinine once again.

What do you suggest.
Ideally you would wait until the creatinine returns to you father's baseline before undergoing another procedure if that is possible though, generally, it should be at least trending down prior to the procedure. Things like given IV fluids prior to the procedure, using certain contrast agents, and minimizing contrast used can decrease the chance of kidney issues following the procedure. I am sure that the cardiologist and nephrologist are doing all they can to minimize the chance of damage to the kidneys. I hope everything goes well for your father.