Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ankle Swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ankle Swelling

I am having ankle swelling.I need to know why it has been going on for a while.I am on 40mg of lasix and taking potassium how much potassium do I need to take wit 40 mg of lasix.Any help will be appericated
sweets4,
It is difficult to comment given the limited amount of information. It appears that your doctor may think that you have too much fluid. Lasix (also known as furosemide) is in a class of medicines known as diuretics. Diuretics cause you to urinate and lose some of the excess fluid. When taking these diuretics, you also lose potassium which is why your doctor has given you the potassium replacement pills. Everyone is different in terms of how much potassium they lose so your doctor will likely check your potassium levels and adjust your potassium supplementation accordingly.