Heart Disease Expert Forum
Another EF confusion
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Another EF confusion

I was curious by the reply to a past question on ejection fraction. I thought that EF was the blood pumped out of the heart during systole. So if a person has HOCM I understand the increase in contractility due to the change in chamber size and the need to maintain cardiac output. So I guess the EF could go up, but what a blockage to blood flow has to do with it?
  Under which circumstances would an EF of 70%-75% be considered normal?
  In addition to HOCM, what other pathologies could cause an hyperdinamic EF?
  Thank you in advance for your reply
  Octavio
Related Discussions

Dear Octavio, I answered your last question on increased EF and I think I may have confused you with my response.  First, from the information you provided, I thought you have a normal heart.  There was nothing to indicate that you have HOCM.  I mentioned HOCM to be complete.  Second, most methods used to calculate the EF do not specifically list the EF if it is > 60-65%, rather it's listed as >60%, etc.  Thus, your EF could still be considered within normal limits.  Third, other causes of hyperdynamic left ventricles are so rare that they are not worth mentioning.  Finally, I suggest that you speak to your cardiologist/physician if you are concerned about having a hyperdynamic ejection fraction.  

Information on the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your own physician.

Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...