Heart Disease Expert Forum
Another EF confusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Another EF confusion

I was curious by the reply to a past question on ejection fraction. I thought that EF was the blood pumped out of the heart during systole. So if a person has HOCM I understand the increase in contractility due to the change in chamber size and the need to maintain cardiac output. So I guess the EF could go up, but what a blockage to blood flow has to do with it?
  Under which circumstances would an EF of 70%-75% be considered normal?
  In addition to HOCM, what other pathologies could cause an hyperdinamic EF?
  Thank you in advance for your reply
  Octavio

Dear Octavio, I answered your last question on increased EF and I think I may have confused you with my response.  First, from the information you provided, I thought you have a normal heart.  There was nothing to indicate that you have HOCM.  I mentioned HOCM to be complete.  Second, most methods used to calculate the EF do not specifically list the EF if it is > 60-65%, rather it's listed as >60%, etc.  Thus, your EF could still be considered within normal limits.  Third, other causes of hyperdynamic left ventricles are so rare that they are not worth mentioning.  Finally, I suggest that you speak to your cardiologist/physician if you are concerned about having a hyperdynamic ejection fraction.  

Information on the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your own physician.