Heart Disease Expert Forum
Anxiety and the Heart

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Anxiety and the Heart

i suffer from anxiety and i am always worried theres something wrong with my heart and alss lately ive been getting heart flutter i went to the Dr. and they did and EKG and she said everything is fine and stop worry about your heart i cant help it can anyone give me advise.  And also they want to put me on Zoloft but im not sure if I was to take any medication.
Anxiety frequently causes elevations in heart rate or rapid contractions which can be perceived as flutters and this is the most likely case in your situation. Since it isn't the heart that is the problem here I would not be overly concerned.  I would also suggest the zoloft or paxil because either one might help with both problems.  
im also scared thats there something worng with the heart what sohuld i do everytime i express my concerns they say im ok.
i went through the same fears in 2006-07. we have little cancer but a lot of heart disease in the family. i went to emergency room once, had ekg's, did a plaque mri and saw a cardiologist. i sometimes take .25-.5 mg xanax for mild panic attacks and started doing oteher things to ease anxiety. i take low meds for prehypertension and my chloresteral is a bit high so i watch my diet, exercise, erc.
bottom line, i am finally convinced i am not having heart problems when i get anxious. it took a while but i have some good doctors who worked with me through this.
thank you im always scared my dr. did an EKG and said eveything was fine i have alot of anxiety i do take xanax so i think it has allot to do with it..
A related discussion, Anxiety/Heart Flutters was started.