Heart Disease Community
Any experiences with the Resperate or Zona devices?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I have been considering purchasing a Resperate, a biofeedback device that costs about $300 and -- according to some fairly impressive clinical studies -- is effective in significantly reducing BP in something like 70-75% of those who try it (or more). Well-controlled studies appear to have been done, the comnpany seems quite reputable, etc. But I sure would like to hear independently from some folks who've successfully (or unsuccessfully) tried this device before spending the money.

Just yesterday I learned of a competing device, also around $300, called the Zona Plus. Works on a completely different principle, ALSO seems well tested with an interesting history (it emerged from jet fighter technology). It frankly sounds a bit easier to use, and they claim it is effective in over 90% of patients, and with a better result to boot. But it is available ONLY from the manufacturer -- Google produces almost no hits on it. The scientific papers they cite seem, mostly, generic rather than specifically about the Zona Plus itself. Harvard Health Newsletter did do a full-page spread on it. Anyone with experience with this device?
Hi Roger

Sorry I have no experiences with these devices, but would like to know more about this.  My husband has been on a few meds for his High Blood Pressure, and has suffered terrible side effects (from the statins)  He is on a different med now, but I don't like him taking them, I really don't believe they are good for him.  How do these devices work.  I am open to other methods, as I personally have many doubts about pharmaceuticals.  I know they help many people, but it is just my personal belief that sometimes they do more harm than good.

All the best to you.

Michelle
The PDF files referenced by the Zona website do not refer to Zona itself but to IHG.  Before you plunk down that amount of money Roger I would read all those articles.  It appears that one could construct a self made training exercise from the info in the articles.
Thanks for posting ... I was wondering if anyone was even reading what I wrote!

The Resperate has a higher profile. It's been on the market for a number of years, with long-term clinical trials in some very reputable institutions. You can buy it from a number of different (internet) retailers or from the manufacturer directly. It's probably a slightly better deal from the retailers, e.g., www.lifematters.com or DH Medical.com.

The Resperate is a biofeedback device which is supposed to be used 3-5 times each week, for about 15-20 minutes per sitting. It is possible to do what the Resperate does without any kind of device, but most people can't or won't, hence the machine to help. A band is placed around your chest to measure your breathing rate. Sound is fed through headphones. You follow the chimes as they guide you to a slower breathing rate with longer exhales. It's now been pretty well established that for a substantial majority of people with hypertension, BP levels will drop for awhile during and after doing this ... and, if you continue doing it 3-5 times a week, after a month or two your BP level will be lower all the time. It does not work for everyone, but I've seen figures (from somewhere) that upwards of 70-75% of users report benefits that make the machine worthwhile. If you ever stop using the device, your BP will gradually go back up. The average drop in BP is claimed to be somewhere in the 12/8 range, if my memory is correct.

The Zona Plus (previously sold as the CardioGrip) works on an entirely different principle, and it is not yet clear to me exactly HOW it does what it does. The idea came out of research conducted in the 1960s and '70s on jet fighter design and operation. I believe it was the F-15 jets that had a problem with pilots passing out during tight maneuvers because of the blood being driven out of the brain by high G forces. It was discovered that by clenching certain muscles (I've always heard it was the butt, but apparently it was also the hands), a pilot could boost BP for a second enough to keep from passing out. The solution was a control stick that included some sort of measurement device to help guide the pilot, to let him know how tightly he was gripping the instrument.

One of the scientists noticed that after pilots had used this for awhile, those who'd previously had slightly elevated BP levels no longer did. Long story short, many years of research led to this device and its predecessors. To use it, you grip the thing, squeeze for 1 minute as hard as you can, rest for one minute, then squeeze at 30% or somesuch of your capacity. Then you switch hands. I think you do this several times. As with the Resperate, so here: you are supposed to do this 3-5 times a week in 15 minute sessions.

Zona Plus claims that the machine is beneficial to over 95% of those who use it for 4-6 weeks, and that average BP drops are in the range of 20-22/8-10.

As meriop points out, the literature supporting the Zona Plus is a little bit on the thin side, although the full-page Harvard Health Newsletter article gave the machine and the company some serious credibility. I don't know whether you could make your own, as meriod says, or not; I'll be reading the articles at the Zona Plus's website carefully to see. I myself have been slammed with work this week, and haven't had time to really give a lot of attention to all the literature linked to at the Zona Plus website.

I started with the Zona about six months ago, tired of side effects due to the 3 different antihypertensives I was taking.  Started with BP of 155/95, with drugs down to 130's over 80's, but could not get lower.  Called the company and talked to them, figured I had nothing to lose so I tried it.  My pressure is now about 115/65 and am down to 2 drugs.  I could probably come off of another drug but am taking it very slowly.  It is easy to do and I feel it has worked just as the literature said it would, an extra 15 systolic and at least 10 diastolic.

I just started with zona plus a week ago. Altho it is easy to do, I am finding that it takes tremendous effort to squeeze as it indicates. I feel like I am about to explode I have to squeeze so hard to keep it in the "zone". Am scared that I may be doing damage to myself rather than helping lower BP--feel like I could have a stroke! Did you encounter similar issues when you first started? I called the company and they said to squeeze at the beginning only once as hard as I can and that maybe I keep squeezing harder so it makes the rest of the therapy harder, but that doesn't seem to help. I don't feel like I can keep this up, because my hands are so tired towards the end I can hardly go on. Appreciate your input.
Hi, This is all interesting. I have been using the Resperate for about a year now, on and off. When I do use it every day for about 20 minutes, it does seem to have a lowering effect. Maybe about an average of 15/10. What is good about it, it is teaching me to take a break during the day, meditate and breath slower, which is really what it is all about. Very relaxing to use. So I would recommend it. But I could see that some people would be better at the "meditation" than others. My husband was recently diagnosed with an ascending aorta dialitation, which has us nervous, so he is starting to use the Resperate, but in his case, after reading these posts, maybe he would benefit more from the Zone Plus. So I will look into that. I bet, since my hands are very small, I would not be at all comfortable either with the gripping. Keep the comments coming. I figure it is good to avoid drugs while we still can, but will take them when we have to.
Bugs
I started Zona two days ago and find the exercise more difficult than touted in the ads.  My hands get tired and I feel all the blood rushing to my face.  I find I don't look forward to the exercise and am glad when it's over.  I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if my hands are just weak and will get better with time.  I don't want to give up yet.
I meant to mention in my above post that my hands are very small, and I have a feeling that is why the Zona feels so difficult to do.  I have skinny fingers and just an overall small hand.  I want to try it with gloves tomorrow.  I've been doing it three days now (I had to skip a day because I felt I just couldn't muster the strength after two days to do it a third day in a row).  My doctor suggests five days a week rather than the three days a week suggested in the literature.  I took my blood pressure today two hours after the exercise and notice that it's down some.  Before using the Zona at all my reading was consistently 139/90 and today it was 125/82 so maybe something's working already.  

I still do not look forward to the sessions, though.  It hurts and I don't have arthritis in my hands, just small small hands.  
I certainly am glad to hear from you! I was thinking I was the only one having a problem using it! The literature says its "relaxing" therapy "without excessive strain or fatigue". I  would like to know for whom! I have been doing it now for almost 3 weeks and it is still  difficult for me! I thought my hands would be stronger and it would be easier by now. Not much! Like you, I do not look forward to the sessions at all, but am persevering to see if it works--I do it 6 days a week. Don't really see much affect from it yet in my BP, either. My hands are not small and are not arthritic either, but have never been very strong and my fingers are thin.

Anyway, keep me posted and I will keep you posted and we will see how this goes! Hopefully, someone else will also chime in. Good luck!
Today I tried lightweight gloves, and maybe it was a little better, but not much, and I kept getting the prompt in the window telling me to squeeze harder.  I couldn't do it harder toward the last 30 seconds, and felt like giving up, but didn't even though I wasn't in the "hold" zone at all on my left hand.  However, my reading came out 95!  That surprised me.  

It  was discouraging to read you've been on it three weeks and still find it no easier.  I wish someone from the company could provide some insights as to why it's not as easy as their brochure and their website indicates.

Thanks for cheering me on.   I'll keep your posted, too.    
I've been using a Zona-Plus for six weeks. Not difficult, I find, just boring. My BP jumps around so much it's hard to tell how well it's working   in the last few days I've had readings as high as 168/80 and as low as 125/64 (all readings  taken after sitting quietly for at least 10 mins).

Jakkals
I have been using the Zona Plus for a year. My BP was 155/99 with meds; now 125/80 with less meds. It take about 6 weeks to see an improvment. You need to be religious about using it and learning the preceedure. It will take 12 minutes a day for at least 5 days per week. It is more work than popping a pill but yeilds better results and costs less in the long run. It can even be shared between people as it calibrates itself at the beginning of each use.
At 20 cents a day for my lisinopril it will take me almost 5 years to pay for the Zona Plus. I paid $10 for some hand grip exercizers. I will see if they help before I invest $350. Maybe I am not doing it right, tho. Tell me if I am wrong. Squeeze as hard as possible with each hand for 10 to 20 seconds, then hold with each hand for 2 minutes at about 30% of strength, resting for 1 minute between sessions. Then do it again with each hand for 2 minutes, at about 30% strength. Is that basically it?

The problem is estimating 30%, but maybe that is not so important.
Although my b/p is 178/100, I am not going to write about that. I saw that your Dr recommended increasing the days you use it. I think he is wrong. When you do exercises like that, you destroy tissue. Your body must rest to rebuild that tissue. Weightlifters do not lift every day. Or if they do they work different parts of the body. Using the Zona you do isometric exercices which strengthen muscle. It is a slow process but the result will come, all of a sudden. However, if it is too big you should approach the manufacturer that there are people with small hands. Not necessarily women only. My wife has much bigger hands than I have.
I wantd to add my comment re: Resperate.
I purchased it last September. It did not arrive before my trip to Puerto Vallarta. When I returned to CA 3 weeks later I tried to reach the company several times. I kept trying to get a response and sent an email. I wanted to get the 30 days extended so I could see if it worked. Listening to mellow music seems to help just about the same. Since Resperate was expensive I wanted to return it. I sent an email since I wasn't receiving any response to my phone calls.I sent this email to them:Hi I need your help. I did not receive my RESPeRATE before going out of the country in Sept. I returned to California on October 8th. I have been using the Resperate but have not noticed any change in Blood Pressure compared to before I received it. I would like to request a full refund. Please send me the information I need to retuern the product promptly.Sincerely, Suzy PS I was on hold and then disconnected each day this week that I tried to call you so I decided to write to you. They said "You'e way out of your return period we cannot accept it. So much for Customer Support!!
Wow! That's really too bad that Resperate was so unhelpful. I have to admit that I am biased, since I actually work for Zona Health, but for what it's worth, we try really hard to have good customer service that has the flexibility to deal with situations like globalsuzy's above.

And thank you all for your comments (both positive and negative) about the Zona Plus. I am always really happy to hear success stores, but in a way, I am even more glad to hear about the ways it was not successful, since we are constantly looking for ways to make the product better. I'll talk to some people here at the company to see what we can do about a model with a smaller grip so that people with smaller hands can have an easier time using the Zona Plus.

Some of you have mentioned that you did not find the Zona Plus to be "relaxing" and "without excessive fatigue" as the literature claimed. I have to admit that some of our literature could be interpreted in a way that makes the Zona Plus look easier to use than it really is, so maybe I can explain that a bit better. The main thing to remember is that the Zona Plus guides you through an exercise. It is a targeted exercise that specifically helps your blood pressure, but like all exercise, you have put some effort into the process. As you use the Zona Plus, your blood pressure goes up (only to safe levels if done properly), and then comes back down when you have finished. Most people find that a relaxing sensation, hence the claim that the Zona Plus is relaxing. Of course, we obviously need to make that clearer in our literature, so thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do!

And zonatryer, I realize it's been a few months, but I hope the Zona Plus helped your blood pressure. I was surprised that you found it so difficult and I wonder if your Zona Plus had some kind of problem that could be making you squeeze too hard. If you still have the Zona Plus, you might want to call our Technical Support just to make sure it is working properly. We offer a one year warranty on all parts and labor for the Zona Plus, so if it's our problem, we'll fix it for you.
Hi All. If Zona Plus helps with the BP in general, does anybody knows or has experience of drop in the eye pressure, that coses Glaucoma ?
Nice to see Zona customer service on the e-roam to improve your device and service.  That says something to me right there.  I'm potentially a buyer.  I've been on two BP meds for 2 years with fair results BP-wise, but lots of side effects.  So I'm listening to you all a bit before making a decision.  BTW, I was on ehealthforum.com and saw this distressing posting of which Zona Man may want to take note:  

"Zona Plus Device
Posted: 12-12-07 08:25am    
That does not explain the total (Zona Plus) NO CUSTOMER SERVICE compounded by rudeness. We could have accepted the fact that the product did not work for us, but not the complete rudeness and unprofessional approach from the company. Had they refunded our money, there would be no problem. Not only did they NOT refund our money, they were extremely RUDE!"

That's pretty bad PR for Zona.     from: Potentially
I used the Resperate for several months. It's very relaxing -- would probably work well for insomnia -- but it didn't work to lower my BP. Mine is also the kind that is all over the place, so it was a little hard to tell for sure. It definitely didn't lower it after I used it though -- it would immediately jump some 20 points. On the other hand, my heart rate would immediately be lowered to below 60 beats a minute. But my BP always goes up when my heart rate goes down, and vice versa. If yours follows the normal pattern of being in sync with your heart rate or pulse, it probably would be lowered.

Incidentally, I didn't find customer service at Resperate rude or unhelpful. In fact, the machine stopped working and they sent me a brand new one.

Shelly
My 17 year old son has mild systolic high blood pressure (145/90) and we are looking for a device to help lower his bp. I'm having a hard time deciding between the resperate and the zona plus. Would appreciate help!
sara
When I doubled my medication and my blood pressure STILL was 150/86, I tried zona plus. I have small hands and I had trouble scoring the recommened 80 most days and my hands hurt. Nevertheless, in less one month my blood pressure was down to 115/75
AND I have cut my medication in half. I highly recommend giving it a try.
virginia
Hey, Potentially! Thank you very much for letting me know about that post on ehealthforum.com! I just checked it out today and as far as I can tell, the customer was trying to return the product after 90 days when our guarantee is for 60 days. We start the 60 day trial period 15 days after we ship out the product so that it has plenty of time to reach the customer, so in effect, our guarantee is for 75 days. We don't enforce that rigidly, which means that we will generally give refunds to people who call a few days after their trial period has expired. But if a customer calls weeks after the trial period is over... well, we would refuse to give them a refund since that wasn't the deal that we both agreed upon. In all fairness, I can't imagine that Resperate would accept a product returned a month after its trial period expired!

As for the rudeness, I wasn't working here back in December of '07, but all the representatives that I work with here seem like good folks. Maybe the customer service rep was having a bad day. Then again, maybe the customer was having a bad day. Both customer service reps and customers are only human after all!

And Virginiaking, I'm so glad that the Zona Plus worked so well for you! I'm sorry about the fact that the device is hard to use for people with small hands - we're working on that, but it will probably take some time for us get a new model out. If it keeps on bothering your hands, then give us a call. We can probably swap out your Zona Plus for a different (older) version that works better for people with small hands. Just call our toll free number (866) 669-9662. My real name is Josiah, and you can ask for me if you like.
is it true that there is no customer service and they don't honor their money back guarantee policy?  
Hi, I've been using Zona Plus for the 60 day trial and have not had dramatic results (maybe a few points lower) so I called customer service and they were very friendly and helpful and had some suggestions. They also agreed to extend my 60 day trial period to see if the trend continues.
So, I would say what you heard about no customer service is not true.
I'll try and repost after 45 days to let you know what happens.
Bob
I have used Resperate about a year.  It works for me, but it probably bought be 5-10 systolic points.  I have now been trying Zona Plus for about 3 weeks and my blood pressure is up 30 points!  Not sure what is going on.  Resperate has the advantage of giving you a quiet period which most of us need!
Quick question,  is anyone using both methods?
I'm wondering if you can drop your BP even more if you use both and would like to hear from anyone who has.

By both,  I mean Zona Plus and Resperate.  Of course, I'd like to
her about any other devices as well.
I am a 62-year old woman with "mild" arthritis in my hands. They do hurt sometimes. Is the Zona completely out of the question for me?
Hello lakirsh,

I wish there was a simple answer to your question, but there is no way to know if the Zona Plus will aggravate your arthritis until you try it! One the one hand, we have had customers with arthritis use the Zona Plus without any problems. On the other hand, some people could not use it because it aggravated their arthritis. But the good news is that if you decide to try the Zona Plus and find out that it does hurt your hands, then you can return it to the company for a full refund (at least, if you buy it directly from Zona Health). The only risk to you is the shipping cost. :-)
Oh, I just thought of something. You can do a quick test at home to see if the Zona Plus will aggravate your arthritis. Pick up a squeeze ball (or something similar) and try to squeeze it using ONE THIRD of your maximum strength and hold it there for a couple of minutes using the exact same amount of pressure the entire time. This is pretty much impossible to do perfectly without the Zona Plus, but it will give you a rough idea of the effort involved to use the device. If this action makes your arthritis act up, then the Zona Plus is probably not for you, and you should look into the next best solution (like Resperate) instead. But if that short experiment with the squeeze ball does not bother your arthritis, then the Zona Plus should not be a problem for you. Hope that helps!
I've been using the Zona now for a little over 4 wks.  I don' take the break as they suggest...I do it every day.  It's a bit tough..but come on. WHO can't do this for only 12 minutes a day?  You don't have to hold your breath or anything so why is your head about to burst?  
I feel taking the BP pills is far more dangerous than a bit of a squeeze for 12 minutes a day. Stop complaining and Just Do It. It is working great!  
Oh.. and PS.. I have arthritis at the base of my thumbs... no better no worse  because of the Zona.. They hurt more when I have to cook!  This is a great gadget!
Interesting discussion.
I was kind of surprised to see the mention of isometrics here, as doesn't isometrics raise a person's blood pressure?

from the comments about small hands I'm thinking I'd go with the resperate, but while searching blood pressure remedies I ran across two sites suggesting exercises, one was three Qi Gong exercises, and another was Christian Goodman's blog,

Is anyone here familiar with either?

I have been using Resperate for several years. I have been really concentrating on  uisng it properly for the last few months. I have had problems with high blood pressure most of my life.

I have had some strange reactions with my blood pressure going way up and way down over this time, but overall Resperate seems to be helping me. Yesterday, I got a reading of 110/70, which is about perfect.

I am very interested in any research and devices in this area, so I am finding the discussion of Zona Plus quite fascinating. Also, I am interested in investing in any companies that have successful products in this area. Resperate is an Israeli company and seems to be listed only on the Tel Aviv stock exchange, so I don't know if there is a way for Americans to invest in it. Also, I don't know how well organized and on top of their game the company is. I have had some good experiences in dealing with them and communicating with them, but also some frustrating and puzzling ones. I don't know if Zona is even a public company.

Perhaps one of these products is better for some people and the other is better for some other people.
Both the Zona and RESPeRATE work to some extent by relaxing the blood vessels, allowing the blood to flow more freely, thus reducing blood pressure. I do believe that breathing exercises are great in general and the RESPeRATE is very helpful in guiding us to a meditative breathing state. Life right now is very stressful, so a nice relaxed breathing session any time of the day is a nice break. I like the RESPeRATE and it has worked well for me. I've also been using a simple product called Pressure Perfect that combines paced breathing with handgrip isometric exercise. The handgrip exercises seem to normalize my blood pressure a bit better during the day. I also think the gripping exercises break up the monotony of just doing the breathing exercises alone. I do think that both the RESPeRATE and Zona Plus are pretty good alternatives to drug therapy or a least may help us to reduce the amount of medication we take for HBP.
Mr. Keeling explains it all very well.

I had the Resperate and am now using the Zona Plus. As for the Resperate I found it a major nuisance to use and disliked all 5 music selections. In addition to getting all trussed up have to listen to their choice of music which is definitely not mine or even close. Finally didn't wear the earphones and concluded that as someone - not sure who- mentioned could do it myself without all the rigmarole. Of course, didn't get around to it but didn't miss the Resperate. They were very nice and refunded my $.  Hated the thing.

I much prefer the Zona Plus. Easy to use. Trust it will reduce my bp. Have had for only two weeks and they say bp won't be lowered before 5-6 weeks. Zona Plus much better and more knowledgeable about their product when answering questions than Resperate folks. Prefer email to phone so have answers down in black and white.
Opps...  there was a typo in my first post... use the address from my second one.
I'm concerned about the expense of Zona Plus, and am wondering if there are any knock offs one might try?
I have high bp and read an article in "American Hypertension" I think it was, about a highly successful clinical trial about a chiropractic specialty where they make a very small adjustment to the atlas vertebrae. I live in a small town and had to travel 200 miles to the nearest chiropractor who had that specialty, which has the acronym of NUCCA or something close to that.
It was an expensive hour or so, I think about $400, but my insurance covered all but a small co-pay. My bp did drop enough that I was able to eliminate the second pill I was taking. I still take benecar.
I had the procedure done about 2 years ago, and the results are still there. I'd like to try the Zona Plus to see if I could eliminate all BP medication. I'm surprised I couldn't find a single used one for sale on Craigslist, even checking in the LA market.
I did an experiment.

I bought a spring loaded analog bathroom scale (Walmart $15) & a set of spring loaded grip exercisers (Walmart $8-12).

I squeezed the scale with both hands for 170# ( 30% = 51# - 2 hands) Max
Right hand squeeze was 89 # (30% = 27# - 1 hand) Max
Left hand squeeze was 84# ( 30 % = 25# - 1 hand) Max

Next I fully compressesed the hand grip spring exercisers against the scale and found them to be 24# ea. at min. effort-full compression.

ZonaPlus has you do the following exercise every time: Max squeeze 1 hand 5 secs. wait 10 secs. max squeeze the other hand 5 secs. wait 30 secs. 30% squeeze 1st hand 2 min. Rest 1 min. 30% squeeze 2nd hand 2 min. Rest 1 min. 30% squeeze 1st hand 2 min. Rest 1 min. 30% squeeze 2nd hand 2 min. DONE! 3- 5 X /WEEK

If your grip strength is like this 47 yr old guy's (possibly stronger than average - mechanic) you may find a cheaper alternative. If your Grip strength is weaker you may need some rubber bands on the grip exercisers.

I can't vouch for how well either the grip exercisers or Zona Plus work. I CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE THAT HOLDING A 30% SQUEEZE FOR TWO MINUTES IS VERY DIFFICULT! (THINK ANEURISM (aneurysm) - LOL) I find a pair of padded gloves make it slightly easier.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if either the hand grips or the Zonaplus actually work.- do them at your own risk!

CJ
I bought the resperate in the hopes it would reduce my bp, but in my particular situation, my resting pulse is about 60 and there are times when I forget to even breathe!  I set up the machine, and the man's voice is so annoying and created more stress for me.  Even though it is supposed to follow your breathing pattern, it hasn't.  The bell will go off and say "now breathe" and I can't breathe as fast as he is telling me to.  The sole purpose is to get you to breathe 10 breaths in a minute and ultimately get down to 6  breaths.  I breathe about 5 breaths a minute.  When I tried to go as fast as the machine, I hyperventilated, it got me so wired, my bp went up!  I wrote the company 3 emails to ask how I could fix this since I'm way past the trial period. NO response. I called and the woman who answered had no clue what I was talking about and said she'd have someone call back. No one ever did.  I would definitely NOT recommend the machine.
I bought a ZonaPlus for my wife. By the time I paid the exchange on my Canadian dollars, plus Canada Customs inspection plus GSTax plus shipping it cost me nearly $C500. That wouldn't be so bad, except my wifes hands aren't strong enough to get the damn thing started. So, do I have any remedy, other than send it back, and be out of pocket for the shipping (both ways) and maybe the GST. about $C100 altogether.

Why doesn't your advertising say that you need to be a young weight lifter or blacksmith to work the darned thing?
I'm still waiting for a reply from Zonaman. In the meantime I have requested an RMA to send the ZonaPlus back. It may work as advertised, for all I know, but when one does not have strong enough hands to get it to initially start, it is of no use. I do a lot of physical work and my hands are strong enough to operate the ZonaPlus, I have suggested to my wife that she could probably get the Zona benefit by squeezing a tennis ball for two minutes, etc..She only has mild hypertension and is determined not to take prescription drugs for it.
The company quickly gave me a Return Merchandise Authorization without any question. So I think that it is safe to buy one of these units and try it out. The most you'll be out is the cost of shipping since they honor their money-back guarantee.
I have used the Zona Plus for over 15 weeks with little results in lowering my BP (usually 150/100 or a little higher).  However, my arm and chest muscles have improved.  I have contacted the company various times, and each time had excellent conversations with their representatives.  I actually spoke to "Zonaman," Josiah H., 208-286-1350, who is superb, very knowledgeable, and friendly.  He went out of his way to help me.  I will continue to use the device, even though Josiah offered to refund my money if I wanted to return it.  He mentioned that it might take a longer period of time for results, as I apparently fall into the 10% club that does not see immediate improvement.
Thank you so much for this discussion.  I am desperately looking for a method to lower my HBP, other than medication.  I am a small woman, never overweight, living alone, in my seventies with arthritic hands, little strength and an extemely bad back.  Consequently I am mainly sedentary.  I have been on medications for my HBP for ten years until now, when I am currently on 5 daily medications, all of which make me extremely fatigued.  Within the past few weeks my systolic BP has been well over 200 twice and is usually between 160-180 although my diastolic is in the 60's and my pulse is in the low 60's to 50's. From the conversation here it appears that Zona plus is not for me but I must find something to lower my blood pressure and soon.  I eat a healthy diet of mainly fruits and vegetables and try to stay hydrated.  Does anyone have any ideas?  My HMO doctor seems to be of no help.
An alternative to buying devices and no side effects.
For blood pressure do these yog pranayam (breathing exercises) everyday.You will see the benefits within days, as you can check BP yourself.Continue the exercise once a day, after you are better.You may be able to reduce/stop your medication over longer term, although the doctor will say you have be on medication for life.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 15 times

Continue the pranayam once a day, when your BP is normal.
Acquired Resperate a few years ago after being dialgnosed with medium level (92/150) BP.  This structured biofeedback mediation suited me well enough that I was able to ease off after a few months and keep it in reserve for stress or indigestion crises, where it once more works remarkably well, and with immediate effect.  I suspect that, as also claimed by Zona, it's use is beneficial for hearthealth.

I turned off the somewhat intrusive male guidance voice after a few sessions, and now ignore those breath-timing instructions until I get down to a comfortable 6bpm.  In all, I've personally found Resperate such a success that I am considering purchasing Zona as a supplement, if its different technique can produce supplementary beneficial results.

Full Disclosure:  admittedly my success with Resperate could in part be due to the mediation I've been sporadically practicing for a number of years.

Just exercise. Walk. Run. Swim. Anything you do besides sitting in front of a TV or Computer will contribute to lower blood pressure. These things work because you force arteries and veins to mimic the expansion and contraction you get from EXERCISE. If you are obese, fat or overweight, smoke, drink etc. there is never going to be a magic cure in a pill. You have until you die to quit wining and get with it.
Good grief, Daily exercise is the natural way... good advice rockdoc  
For over 15 years my blood pressure at resting was around 200/153. WOW, if I could get down to 150/100 I'd be making great progress. In spite of the high high high BP, I felt just great. After being on Diovan for several years now, I've attained the 139/90 level I want, but the Drs. still want to increase my meds to get it lower. ARBs are better than ACEs and that better than beta blockers. Maybe I'll try the RESPeRATE. A Thallium treadmill test revealed that my heart muscle was thicker, much like an athlete's yet still without any enlargement. No strokes, or other side effects. I guess that some of us are just built for more stress than others.
I purchased Resparate in November 2008.  I have found it works pretty well as I've seen BP go from 153/100 to 123/80.  The funny thing is that it is a lot like exercise.  Exercise works too, but you have to do it.  You can't just buy the Resparate and not use it.  When I use it, I see results.  The biggest thing I like about it is there are no negative side effects like you'd get from drugs.
The exercises described in my post of Jan 01, 2010 will help to control the blood pressure naturally, without side effects.
Thank you.......
I am a commercial pilot.  As I age, blood pressure has started to creep up.  Not yet at levels requiring medication, but higher than I have had over my working lifetime.  

I am always skeptical of "alternative health care" options, but I thought I would try this product since it comes with a money back guarantee.

I have been using a Zona Plus for two weeks now.  The device is very easy to use.  I really don't understand what some of the people are doing that cause some of the problems described on this page.  You simply grip the device as firmly as possible for a few seconds, using each hand, then squeeze  and hold while the readout counts down.  If your grip changes, the device reads; "Squeeze More" or "Squeeze Less".  You simply do two repetitions with alternate hands and the device reads out a "score".  Just keep the average score above "80" according to the instructions.  It doesn't require"crushing" hand strength or any serious effort.  Just "squeeze and hold" a percentage of your own first grip.

So far, my BP is slightly lower (only a few mm) but I find the exercise relaxing but with a "little bit of burn" in the hands to let you know it's doing something.  I spend 12 minutes a day with the device while reading emails, so it doesn't really impact my regular schedule.

I'll try and report back at the end of the 6 week "trial Period" with the results.
We have been using the Zona Plus for 2 1/2 weeks.  I have to say I was very skeptical but I was not going to jump on the "buy more drugs" bandwagon - been there, done that and ended up on 5 different meds - each to counteract the side effects of the others.   I very very surprised to find that after only 2 weeks my BP went from 160/ 102  down to 135/81.  I couldn't believe it and took it twice in both arms!!  Yes, it was a little uncomfortable to start but now I see a toning in the muscles and the ringing in my ears is just about gone.  I'm 57 and not an athelete.  I hope those of you that are frustrated don't give up.  I now sleep better, have more energy and an overall better attitude.  In my humble opinion, this device really works.  Thanks   ***@****
OK, I'm somewhat amazed.  I am at the beginning of "week 8" using the Zona Plus.  As I stated in my last post, I would report back, so here's the results:
Using the method of tracking blood pressure suggested in the Zona literature, I tried to get a daily reading (not always accomplished) for a two week average.  First two weeks: 135/85, second two weeks: 122/80, third two week period: 124/80.  During the last two week period, I missed a daily Zona session three times.
Overall, I guess the results actually are showing a downward, stabilizing effect on my BP.  These are in no way "scientific" results.  I'm using a "home grade" sphygmomanometer for measurements and the times of the day vary, but overall, I am pleased with the results and will be keeping the device.  If anything weird changes in the future, I'll report back.
How are you doing with your HBP these days? Are you still using the sameproduct? Do you have some advise for those who would like to use it?
I have bought and used these 2 devices .I have used the Resperate for  over a year with some improvement and was able to drop one of my medications ,a beta blocker as a result . There was a reduction in my blood pressure  using Resperate . It's pleasant to use but you need to get "strapped up " to use it which can be a bit of a nuisance  and it takes about 30 minutes for each session .
I bought a Zona plus device over 2 months ago ,I was sceptical to say the least .
I am truly delighted with the device ,it has worked for me . My readings are 116 over 78.  . I use it every second day ,it takes under 10 minutes for each session .
I have stopped using Resperate ,the Zone plus is much more convenient to use ,but I suggest to the makers that they should fit a positive on off switch to the device as it's very easy to switch it on accidentally when handling it ,I have turned it off by removing the battery cover .
I have no connection with zone plus or Resperate .
I live in Ireland am 76  years ,male and when first diagnosed my blood pressure readings were 195  over 132  ,that was 11 years ago