Heart Disease Community
Anyone Had A TEE Test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Anyone Had A TEE Test?

I have had 2 endoscopic analyses where they put a Rubic's cube down your esophagus, but never a TEE test. Are you really out of it or not? Is it a pain?

Thanks for any information,

Jack

P.S. They did not give me enough medicine for the test where i felt the Rubic's cube going down, but I started to gag and cry and stuff, then they knocked me out :)
I just had this done a few weeks ago.  All I remember is them spraying some awful tasting stuff in my mouth, shortly after I was asleep or just can't remember.  It was not bad at all..worst part was the IV.  You only have a scratchy throat for 4 hours afterward...or perhaps it is different for everyone involved.  Good luck!

Jill
I had a TEE and it was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be.  When I first got into the treatment room, I was given an IV and the nurse put on the EKG patches.  So far, so good.  Next, they sprayed some yukky tasting stuff (some sort of numbing medicine) into my throat.  Then, I had to drink this other numbing medicine so I wouldn't feel the tube as it was passed down my throat.  You can drink it all at once (probably an ounce or two),or you can divide it.  The good news is, you it is like the stuff you get at the dentist.  You don't feel/taste the second gulp.  The nurse told me that I might feel like I couldn't swallow, but that in reality, I could.  It was fine....Still all good.  

I was lying on my back and they started the medicine (versed and demerol) throught the IV.  Next thing I know, I'm sitting up and I'm about ready to go home.  I did end up tossing a few cookies b/c I don't do well with demerol.  But since then, I've had versed and fentynl and all was good.  

Hope you have just as good of an experience (not the nausea though..lol).  Good luck!

I had a TEE test done three yrs ago.  Even though they gave me meds , I was so worked up that the meds did not work, but I kept my mouth shut because I wanted to get the hell out of there.  I closed my eyes, and didn't say a word.  I felt everything, it was a slight pain in the middle of my chest, I felt when the cardiologist kept turning that instrument inside my chest where he looked at my heart, but its no big deal, nothing you can't handle.  Maybe if I had not gotten the Demerol, maybe the pain would have been worst, but the Versed, did not effect me at all, I was wide awake, but as I said I closed my eyes to get this exercise over with ASAP.

You will be in recovery for about an hour.  
OH NO!  I feel so badly that you were so worked up, and that you felt the procedure.  Despite your not being TOO uncomfortable, I can think of a lot of ways I'd rather be spending my time.  Hopefully, that won't happen again.  Have you ever had versed for other procedures?  same thing?

My dad just had versed for a procedure and he says he remembers and was aware the entire time. I talked to the doctor and the doctor said my dad's BP dropped to 70's/?? right after he gave my Dad a teeny bid of versed.  He didn't want to give him anymore, and fortunately my Dad was comfortable.

Connie
Thanks so much for the most reassuring advice. Barbarella, you should have cried like I did when I had the not enough dope edoscopy :)

On my echocardiogram, my pulmonary valve was not in view. I also have a sclerotic aortic valve, plus some mild valve leakage. I have been lightheaded and off balance lately (without alcohol :)

I am going to beg them to do this test here or in Ohio.....Thanks to you guys, I know it is supposed to be rather painless.

Thanks so much,

Jack
Its not just the Versed, none of the tranquelizers/sedatives work on me when I go to the doctor/hospital and especially when I have to have a test done.  

It goes way back.  When I was 3 yrs old I was in the hospital for an entire year and almost died.  Ever since I have this big "what if" , what if they will find something real serious again.  I'm not afraid of a procedure or the pain, but always afraid of the "unknown" of the "what if".  I still go for my appointments, and if a test is scheduled I will go, and never cancel, but as in tranquelizers before the test, forget it.  My adrenaline is flowing big time.  They would have to give me anesthesia to knock me out. :)
Had my TEE in Cleveland at the CCF.  Good luck with the upcoming procedure.  Cry if you have to....it's much better when you're asleep (or at least when you think you're asleep).

WOW!!  Thank goodness you've have managed to overcome the fear of going to the appointments.  I'm not sure I could have done that!  Kudos to you!
I had a TEE in June of this year in Houston.  It was not bad at all, but then after undergoing 3 OHS in my lifetime, nothing really seems that scary to me anymore!   It really is not bad at all; best thing to do is not get yourself worked up about it & try to relax.  It will be over before you know it!  Good luck to you!
Years ago I had an Endoscopy done.  Back then they were using Demerol, which didn't work for me.  The doctor and myself were fighting, I was gagging and trying to pull that tube out and he was trying to force it down my throat.  I could feel that tube moving around in my chest.  I had to have it done again this year.  I explained  what I went through before and they assured me that now they use Versed and Fentnyl or Demerol just because of experiences  like mine.  When I came to I asked them when were they going to start and the nurse said, baby we are all done.  I didn't remember a thing.  Now I get Caudal Blocks in my back.  They use Versed and Fentnyl and I don't remember a thing.
By Jaquelle     October    12:15