Heart Disease Expert Forum
Anything new for afib?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Anything new for afib?

I'm 40y.o. and have had arrythmias since I was a teen.  Diagnosed with parox. AF 2yrs ago.  Have tried many antiarrythmics and as of the past year amiodarone.  Had EP study and found aflutter which was ablated but still have afib.  My EP doctor is going to start dofetilide in 1mos.  What do you think of this new drug?  How many people take this drug?  

Have heard of AT500 and EP 1000XP Multi. Cath. Ablation System.  What are these things?  Are they promising for a cure from afib?

Thank you for your response.
GB
This drug is still relatively new, though EP specialists have been using it successfully for the treatment of atrial fibrillation. It is important to avoid taking drugs that prolong the QT interval with dofetilide, as this can cause life-threatening arrhythmias. Your doctor or pharmacist will likely provide you with such a list of drugs to avoid.
The devices that you refer to are used to ablate foci of afib. They are promising ways to "cure" afib in certain individuals, though not most afib for the time being.
I'am 71 y.o.,I was diagnosed in 1997 with A fib, I was rcently hospitalized and given tikosyn for treatment, It worked,  for 28 days, Now I'am back in A fib, I am considering a pace maker,as I don't want to be experimenting with the drugs, do yo have a suggestion for me?
Thank You R.B