Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aorta Atherosclerosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aorta Atherosclerosis
Recently I had a CT Scan done and they said that at my age of 48 I had excessive Aorta Atherosclerosis. What are the chances that this will lead to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm or is there different problem that would likely occur? What precautions and is there any regular testing that should be done? Should a specialist monitor this or will my current internal medicine doctor be sufficient? Thank you Terry.
Terry,

Thanks for the post.

Q:"What are the chances that this will lead to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm or is there different problem that would likely occur?"

We don't know what the chances are that atherosclerosis will lead to a AAA.  What we can say is that when someone has atherosclerosis, then they have vascular inflammation, which can then lead to the complications of vascular disease.  AAA is certainly a manifestation of vascular disease.

Q:"What precautions and is there any regular testing that should be done?"

Pursue a "heart healthy" lifestyle.  Quit smoking (if you do), exercise, eat right, and treat modifiable risk factors like hypertension and hypercholesterolemia.

Q:"Should a specialist monitor this or will my current internal medicine doctor be sufficient?"

This is up to you.  A good internist can handle this problem.

Best of luck.