Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aorta Valve discrepancies

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aorta Valve discrepancies

I am very baffled after a recent test I've had done. I am a current patient at Cleveland Clinic. I went there seeking a second opinion after seeing a local cardiologist. The echo I had done locally didn't match the symptoms I was feeling: shortness of breath while exercising, palpitations, angina, exhaustion. (Numbers from that echo were 1.1 cm opening, 3.5 gradient. 50 velocity) After having an echo done in Cleveland, my numbers were .8-.9cm opening, 4 gradient, and 50 velocity. The dr told me to visit back in 6 mo. Well, about July I started with this little hacky cough which just kept progressing until it got so back I visited with my pcp. He thought it was bronchitis and my asthma flaring up. After the steroids and antibiotics didn't help, he sent me to the local cardiologist. So I went in explaining to her that I've had this horrible cough which is sometimes productive and sometimes not. I can no longer lay flat or even heavily elevated. I've been sleeping upright in the recliner. So she decided to do a TEE test on me. The results she came up with is that my valve opening is 1.5cm and very little turbulence coming from it. But my aortic root measured approximately 4 cm. She now wants to do a ct scan to get an exact measurement of the root. I'm very confused by this whole thing and need some advice on how to proceed. How could my valve measurements vary so much and is it even possible to have a root enlargement of 4cm if my valve opening is truly 1.5cm? I personally am going to trust Clevelands valve measurements. But they did not get a root measurement and I need to know how serious this is. When I've called my Cleveland Clinic cardiologist's office, his nurse blew me off basically and told me that it was my asthma and that she would call me back after she spoke with the Dr. She never did. So I'm hesitant to even call back to Cleveland. Really don't know what to do and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks,
Melissa  
You did not list your medications.  Has your PCP reviewed everything you are on?  Some BP meds are notorious for causing coughing.  My Diagnoses sound similar to yours went through a period of severe coughing turned out it was a medication issue.  If you are seeing multiple docs maybe you need one person to review all of your meds for side effects and interactions.
mikki-jo
The only constant medication I was on previous till yesterday was a pro-air inhaler for my asthma. When my lungs took a turn for the worst, he added Advair to my regimen for a wk. When I started running low grade fever, he put me on a Z-pack and predisone. When I finished the weeks worth of meds and was not better, he determined that it was not a lung problem but possibly a valve symptom. So now I'm off the steroids and antibiotics and just using my inhaler when necessary and on the lasiks to see if getting the excess water out of my system helps. Last night I was able to lay the flatest I had in a while (but still elevated). I have a ct scan scheduled for Thursday to get an exact aortic root measurement. Just ready to be done with this ugly chapter of my life an move on to the new and improved one.