Aa
A
A
Close
Aorta atherosclerosis
I recently had a CT done of my lungs.The report stated "the aorta is atherosclerotic." What does that mean?  I am currently having shortness of breath, angina, light headedness. (I have had these symptoms for several weeks) A heart cath revealed no blockage or disease in the coronary arteries. But as of yet, no reason from physician as to why I am having these symptoms. I have high blood pressure,diabetes,lupus and a previous history of pulmonary embolus in both lungs. I have had pain in my legs for years when walking up stairs or inclines but Dopplar shows no blockages in arteries.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
367994 tn?1304957193
For some insight: Atherosclerosis is caused by repeated injury to the walls of arteries caused by high blood pressure.  There are othe causes that contribute to this injury,  tobacco smoke, diabetes and high levels of cholesterol in the blood.

Often, the first symptom is pain or cramps at times when blood flow cannot keep up with the tissues‘ need for oxygen. To stop or prevent  atherosclerosis, people need to stop using tobacco, improve their diet, exercise regularly, and maintain control of their blood pressure and diabetes.

Hope this helps, and if you have any followup questions you are welcome to respond.  Take care.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1480750569
Blank
Netherlands