Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aorta dimensions

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aorta dimensions
My echocardiogram report said "aortic root: 3 cm"
They said it was normal, is it? Is it in the high range of normal?
I am 5 "5 or 5 "6, and 137 lbs.

That is normal. Normal aorta dimensions can vary and to be considered dilated, usually have to be big even for your size. We do this by indexing, meaning we take the diameter of your aorta, and divide it by your height or body surface area (depending on the institution) to get a more appropriate answer. However, a 3 cm aorta is normal for adults. You should trust in your physicians, as aorta dimension is not something that they would mess up and tell you that is normal when it is not.