Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aortic Aneurysm

My Brother was diagnosed with an Inoperable Aortic Aneurysm -- He is listed in critical condition? What is the cure or prescribed  solution for this, he also has developed a lung infection? Is this something he can live with? or will this result in death?
Dear Ellieg,

Sorry to hear about your brother. An aneurysm is an abnormal dilation in the wall of the aorta(the main artery from the heart). They typically are caused by atherosclerosis and hypertension and once present continue to increase in size. It is difficult to answer this question with the limited information provided. Aneurysms are found  in different locations along the aorta and  can be of different sizes. The size and characteristics of the aneursym helps determine the prognosis.
I would recommend a discussion with your brother's doctor.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
Dear Ellieg,
I am so very sorry to learn of your brother's condition. As CCF-MD-KE has mentioned, the doctors caring for your brother are in the best position to explain things for you in detail. This should include what part or parts of the aorta are affected (ascending, arch, descending, abdominal), how large the aneurysm is, and if the aorta has begun to tear or ruture. Since you have been told it is inoperable, it would seem that surgery is too dangerous - perhaps the reasons why can be explained to you. You will also want to ask what the cause of your brother's aneurysm might be. There are certain conditions(such as Marfan's Syndrome) where the aortic tissue is abnormal.
There is an aneurysm support group at www.westga.edu/~wmaples/aneurysm.html that you may find helpful.  I entered the world of aortic aneurysms when my husband was diagnosed and underwent surgery.  I can be reached at ***@**** if you would like to contact me. May your family be given strength in this difficult time.
Thank you for you response.
A related discussion, Aortic Aneurysm in 80 year old Man was started.