Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Valve Aneurysm wit presence of Scar Tissue

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My husband was diagnosed with a aortic valve aneurysm in June 2012 at a size of 5.4 cm.  We spoke to a surgeon who said that once it reaches 6 cm in size that surgery would be necessary but because of the previous surgery there might be an issue with scar tissue.   Is there a procedure out there that can be done despite scar tissue?  What is the best hospital / surgeon to seek?  We live in Michigan.  Also, I have read up on Aortic Valve Bypass, can this procedure be done for the aneurysm?  He is currently on restrictions, 3 different blood pressure medicines to keep the B/P around 120/70.  He has a CT Scan scheduled for 1/29/13 to check the size.  Any information would be helpful as he thinks that there is nothing that can be done, he is damaged goods and can die any time.  Needless to say, he is constantly depressed.  PLEASE HELP.
You may want to consider seeking a second opinion from a cardiac surgeon.  Not all institutions can deal with high risk surgeries but others may be able to do that.  It sounds like your husband would likely need aortic repair but based on the information you have put here, he may not need aortic valve repair/replacement.  My advise is to go see another cardiac surgeon and cardiologist to get their opinions.  Bring your scans and echos with you.