Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Valve Replacement
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Aortic Valve Replacement

Posted By Michael on June 16, 1999 at 11:19:07
Hello,
I am 42 years old and I have had aortic insufficiency for many years but it has never bothered me until recently when I started to get some presuure and chest pains as well as pulpitations. After some echo scans and a recent cardiac catheter, the doctors have decided that I need to have my aortic valve replaced. This is due to be done on the 15th July. I am obviously trying to find out as much information as I can on the subject. The main questions that I would like help with if possible are the following:
How does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital?
As I live in Gibraltar and the operation will be done in London, how long will I have to stay in UK before I can travel back to Gibraltar?
What is the normal recovery time before I can go back to work and to a normal life?
Can you really resume a totally normal life after the operation?
What does the recovery process involve, is there anything special which I will need to do?
The doctor told me that I will have to be on Warfarin for the rest of my life, how will this affect me?, I beleive that Warfarin reacts to certain medicines like antihistamines, disprin and others. Also I beleive that drinking more than 1/2 pint of beer  a day will no longer be possible, can you clarify.
I apologise for the long rambling list that I have made out, but I am obviously a bit worried and I have never bothered to find out much about the problem.
I would be extremely gratful for any information that you can provide.

Many thanks for your time.

Follow Ups:

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Hank Eyring 6/23/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Glenn 6/17/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Todd 6/17/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 6/16/1999
(4)

Aortic Valve Replacement dennis mungall 6/16/1999
(3)