Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Valve Replacement
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Aortic Valve Replacement

Posted By Michael on June 16, 1999 at 11:19:07
Hello,
I am 42 years old and I have had aortic insufficiency for many years but it has never bothered me until recently when I started to get some presuure and chest pains as well as pulpitations. After some echo scans and a recent cardiac catheter, the doctors have decided that I need to have my aortic valve replaced. This is due to be done on the 15th July. I am obviously trying to find out as much information as I can on the subject. The main questions that I would like help with if possible are the following:
How does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital?
As I live in Gibraltar and the operation will be done in London, how long will I have to stay in UK before I can travel back to Gibraltar?
What is the normal recovery time before I can go back to work and to a normal life?
Can you really resume a totally normal life after the operation?
What does the recovery process involve, is there anything special which I will need to do?
The doctor told me that I will have to be on Warfarin for the rest of my life, how will this affect me?, I beleive that Warfarin reacts to certain medicines like antihistamines, disprin and others. Also I beleive that drinking more than 1/2 pint of beer  a day will no longer be possible, can you clarify.
I apologise for the long rambling list that I have made out, but I am obviously a bit worried and I have never bothered to find out much about the problem.
I would be extremely gratful for any information that you can provide.

Many thanks for your time.

Follow Ups:

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Hank Eyring 6/23/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Glenn 6/17/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement Todd 6/17/1999
(0)

Re: Aortic Valve Replacement CCF CARDIO MD - CRC 6/16/1999
(4)

Aortic Valve Replacement dennis mungall 6/16/1999
(3)