Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic Valve Stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aortic Valve Stenosis
I
Hi ifred2000,

Sorry to hear about your valve surgeries and recurrent problems.  

1) What is the risk of AVR operation for somebody in my condition.

It would take a detailed history and physical examination to assess your risk.  It does not sound like your risk is prohibitive of surgery, but I would insist on a high volume cardiology center that does many cardiac surgeries.

2) Is minimally invasive surgery an option in this case?

I doubt it.  With multiple previous surgeries you are bound to have scar tissue that would make this surgery more difficult.  Plus, at your age you will need a left heart cath to evaluate for coronary artery disease and investigate your current mitral vavle as well.

3) Is minimally invasive surgery an option in this case?

On any long flight or drive, you should change position frequenly and stand to walk when you can.  It will decrease your risk of deep vein thrombosis.

4)I just read about an AVR surgery for high risk patients at the Maryland Heart Center by Dr. James S. Gammie (www.umm.edu/heart/aortic_high_risk.html) at which
Is your aortic stenosis due to a Bicuspid valve or is your valve
normal?
I have a normal aortic valve.